T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I just signed up with Shareasale affiliate program. Just curious if anyone else out there is using their program, and if they have had much luck with it.

If there are any merchants or affiliates using this sytem, I would love to get some input on whats the best way to proceed to get affiliates signed up and other ideas to make this succesfull..

thanks,

andrew

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Hi Andew, I'm also on the ShareASale system. You can find some good affiliates at www.abestweb.com (huge affiliate marketing forum).

You can learn about how to make your site "friendly" for affiliates (by learning about things like "datafeeds" and "leaks") and also place an ad there that will get seen by some of the top affiliates on the web.

Some of your best affiliates will come from visitors that are already on your website. Just by putting a good prominent link to your affiliate program, I think you'll get some takers.

You may also want to try one of the shareasale featured program options. If you can get into their "premiere" program, that can also get you quality affiliates.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I get what your saying, I need to put some extra money into promoting my affiliate program just to get some good affiliates.

I noticed that on abestweb.com can need to pay $70 I think to post a program introduction. You beleive this is money well spent?

I have not looked into any promoting within shareasale.com, i will have to check out their "premiere" program thing. I assume it would be best to wait to do these things until I get a bunch of banners up, and have the datafeed thing working, yeah?

While I was at it, I also signed up as an affiliate and used my myspace account to send a bulliten advertising some other t-shirt merchants. I have already sent about 100 clicks to some of these mercahnts, but so far no conversions.. If I recall, your also doign this as well Rodney? Any suggestions on what t-shirt merchants on shareasale convert well?

Andrew

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
I noticed that on abestweb.com can need to pay $70 I think to post a program introduction. You beleive this is money well spent?
Yes. I think you should hang out there *first* and post questions and get help (ShareASale has their own subforum there). That will let you fine tune your affiliate offering first. Once you've got it down (percentage payout/one-two tier/leaks/incentives?/promotions/datafeeds/banners/etc), then you can pay to post an announcement and get a better response.

I assume it would be best to wait to do these things until I get a bunch of banners up, and have the datafeed thing working, yeah?
Yeah.

While I was at it, I also signed up as an affiliate and used my myspace account to send a bulliten advertising some other t-shirt merchants. I have already sent about 100 clicks to some of these mercahnts, but so far no conversions.
I can't vouch for or even comment on the quality of any myspace generated visitors. From what I can tell, I don't think they would convert very well in general.

If I recall, your also doign this as well Rodney?
I do promote some t-shirt merchants through affiliate programs, but I don't use myspace for that. I'm not totally convinced that myspace is a good sales tool. Traffic, sure. But quality traffic, I'm not so sure.

The ebaynham (t-shirthumor) program is pretty good at shareasale. Outside of shareasale, the tshirthell affiliate program converts pretty darn well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am familiar with most of the items you recomend, but not the term "leaks". Does that have somehting to do with links going off your site that might allow an affiliate (or any other) hit/visitor to leak off your site?

As for the Mysapace leads, its easy and cheap to send a bulletin out with a list of affiliate links and see if any of them convert. I wanted to try that before possibly including a list of affiliate links in my newsletter.

Most of the email on my mailing list would be previous buyers or other interested parties.. That might be a way to make some extra money from people who have all the shirts they want from my site. Do you think doing something like that would be a wise move? Or what about adding some affiliate links/banners on the thank you page of your checkout?

Andrew

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
but not the term "leaks". Does that have somehting to do with links going off your site that might allow an affiliate (or any other) hit/visitor to leak off your site?
That's it exactly. Affiliates hate to see "leaks" to other sites. Any link that leads a potential customer out of your site that doesn't earn the affiliate money they consider a leak (adsense, link exchanges, webrings, etc).

Sometimes you have to weigh the needs of the affiliates against your own business needs and do what's best for your site overall, but they can give some good suggestions.

Most of the email on my mailing list would be previous buyers or other interested parties.. That might be a way to make some extra money from people who have all the shirts they want from my site. Do you think doing something like that would be a wise move?
I think "done right", it could work. If you editorialize the links instead of just throwing a bunch of affiliate banners at your email list, you could make it useful.

You know what generally interests your past buyers and people that dig your site, so to make it work, you would need to try to find t-shirts that match that "theme" (like threadless would probably be a better fit than tshirthell for your particular site :))

Give them the wrong links and they could think it's spam or just be disinterested in your future emails.

Or what about adding some affiliate links/banners on the thank you page of your checkout?
That's a neat idea.

·
Registered
401 Posts
To be honest on Shareasale the affiliates sign up in droves. The trick is getting them to sell. Regular mailings with offers, top products, new banners and datafeed updates keeps them happy and active affiliates. You made a fine choice choosing SAS. ABW is also a great place to hang out not just to promote your program but to learn what affiliates want.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Adam said:
To be honest on Shareasale the affiliates sign up in droves. The trick is getting them to sell. Regular mailings with offers, top products, new banners and datafeed updates keeps them happy and active affiliates. You made a fine choice choosing SAS. ABW is also a great place to hang out not just to promote your program but to learn what affiliates want.

Is the Product Database Upload option within Shareasale.com basically the datafeed? Most of my reading regarding datafeeds seems to indicate its more complicated with me needing to provide FTP access to my datafeeds and all..

There are certainly more affiliates signed up under my program then I expected, but not a lot that are generating traffic. I assume you need to find those few affiliates that generate more traffic? Do most of your clicks come from a few specific affiliates, or do you get mostly just a few clicks from a large number of affiliates?

Thanks for your feedback and input..
http://www.shareasale.com/m-products.cfm

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Do most of your clicks come from a few specific affiliates
I think you'll find that most sales will come from a handful of top affiliates, but you will still get traffic from a few affiliates that marginally promote your program.

The top affiliates know how to market a product and if they have a website with the right "match" for your products, will drive some good sales your way.

It does take some work to seek out and find these top affiliates though.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Haven't see you around for a while! I'm just going to say again I think PaperPlain is a superb site, and a great product (one day I promise to buy from you). Although I can't believe how thin one of your male models is, as he manages to make an AA shirt look baggy....I didn't think that was possible!

As for affiliate programs, yes, I think that $70 is a very sound investment. Affiliate systems, done well, are superb. Trust the Rod.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
monkeylantern said:
Haven't see you around for a while! I'm just going to say again I think PaperPlain is a superb site, and a great product (one day I promise to buy from you). Although I can't believe how thin one of your male models is, as he manages to make an AA shirt look baggy....I didn't think that was possible!

As for affiliate programs, yes, I think that $70 is a very sound investment. Affiliate systems, done well, are superb. Trust the Rod.
Thanks for the gratuitous ego bost monkeylantern. I have been away for a while. Just got my second line of shirts up recently, and that has somewhat sparked my fire to move some more product, and get back into the t-shirt world. I am also starting a new job on monday working part time cranking out CSS/HTML website builds, so I am hopefull I will have more time for this project.

Is that male model you mention still on the site? I think you might be referring to my old room-mate, and he might not be up any more.. By AA you mean Apparel Agents of course (not that other AA company whose name I forget). I am almost done changing over all my product to this company, and it seems like they are finally getting their gears greased and shipping product pertty quick these days.

Welp, I will get that datafeed going and then see about dropping my $70 to ABestWeb.. Sounds like its a concensus on a good spend..

Also anyone got an answer to my specific question about datafeeds within SAS??

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Despotte said:
I am one of the "new" affiliates I use ShareASale and am a member of AbestWeb there will be MANY people who sign up but some are not ... as good or are still learning (I am still learning :) ) I think you just need to wait and eventually you will find some real good affiliates.
Its nice to get some feedback from someone on the affiliate side of the biz, even if they are still learning. Did you sign up for my program specifically? I would love to get some feedback on my banners and how my offer compares to all the other t-shirt merchants using SAS.

Have you figured out your startegy or plan as an affiliate? Seems like most of the affiliates that have signed up with my program manage large shopping/comparison sites with lots of categories and such.. I think only one focuses exclusivley on t-shirts (from what I can tell).

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Is the Product Database Upload option within Shareasale.com basically the datafeed?
Yep, that's just about the same thing. Although you'll probably want to use the option to email them a comma delimitted file instead of adding your products one by one.

·
Registered
104 Posts
martin said:
Its nice to get some feedback from someone on the affiliate side of the biz, even if they are still learning. Did you sign up for my program specifically? I would love to get some feedback on my banners and how my offer compares to all the other t-shirt merchants using SAS.

Have you figured out your startegy or plan as an affiliate? Seems like most of the affiliates that have signed up with my program manage large shopping/comparison sites with lots of categories and such.. I think only one focuses exclusivley on t-shirts (from what I can tell).
I havent joined your program (I just looked at your site and ... well I dont think I could affiliate with you Great Products but not quite my demographic. Also Has Brian at SAS talked to you about leaks?) You would probably like to mention your affiliate program on your site with a link back to it on SAS so that people can join directly from your site and not just find you at SAS.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts