T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Are you taling about Corel Draw or Corel Painter? I never used Corel Draw, but I use Painter quite a bit and it is a great program. I don't really consider it a Corel product that much though because it was developed by another company.

I can say that my impression of Corel Draw from seeing it used was not that great, but I am on a Mac, and we have to sign papers when we buy our macs that say we will never say anything nice about a predominantly PC based program.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
shirtboy said:
Are you taling about Corel Draw or Corel Painter? I never used Corel Draw, but I use Painter quite a bit and it is a great program. I don't really consider it a Corel product that much though because it was developed by another company.

I can say that my impression of Corel Draw from seeing it used was not that great, but I am on a Mac, and we have to sign papers when we buy our macs that say we will never say anything nice about a predominantly PC based program.
Yeah, Jasc I think was the manufacturer and then coral bought them out. I reccomend this software to anybody in our type of business. If I had the money I would definately of bought the coral painter X.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I used Corel once or twice, but am an Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop man through and through. Many outside-printers use Adobe, so I also feel safer sending prints off to screenprinters knowing that they use the same software, so the vectors are less likely to be splurged moving between programs.

If you keep everything in-house though, I guess using whatever you like most is the way to go. They aren't *radically* different.

·
Registered
32 Posts
monkeylantern said:
I used Corel once or twice, but am an Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop man through and through. Many outside-printers use Adobe, so I also feel safer sending prints off to screenprinters knowing that they use the same software, so the vectors are less likely to be splurged moving between programs.

If you keep everything in-house though, I guess using whatever you like most is the way to go. They aren't *radically* different.
Adobe is the industry standard for commercial printing here in the states. I'm not sure about the screen print industry here.

I run into a lot of companies that don't use Adobe though, because of the price, or they have very old versions.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have been using Corel Painter, since it was owned by Fractal.

I love it, and recommend getting a Wacom tablet to really explore it.

It can take a long time to get the hang of the software, and using the presets may not give you as good a result as if you experiment with the brush settings and such.

If you want good advice on Painter, you should talk to Arcanum, he does a lot of his work in Painter and he's great at it. Pretty niice and helpful guy too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have not used PSP (any version), mainly because I have always had access to, or owned Photoshop and/or Painter.

So it is hard to compare anything to it, but If I had none of the 3 and I was standing there trying decide which one to buy and money was not an issue I would go with Photoshop and Painter versus saving money and buying PSP8.

If money is an issue, I would probably not have the option to get anything but PSP8. I read on forums that a lot of people use it, so it has

The general rule of thumb with software is the more features, the more it cost. This is not always the case, and you can generally find out what the case is through internet searches and magazines.

If you have plenty of cash, Adobe Creative Suite is the way to go , IMO. that way you get a suite of software that works together and pretty much covers most of your bases in a image creation business.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
One of the best tips is to enrol on the shortest, cheapest (preferably a free community course), most interesting college course you can find, if you're not currently in education. Then you can legally get an educational price bracket (you just need to show some form of educational id at the store, one near a univeristy, as they'll stock it), and instantly save 2/3rd of the price. Photoshop for all! The TOS of Photoshop doesn't require that the software is actually used for you course.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.