T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
So, I have a nice 4 color press ... but I'm not using it much. I've been laying out my shirts on the table, placing the screen over them, weighing them down with dumbells and then printing. Is it weird that I prefer that method? I'm not printing orders or anything- not like I need to do them fast. I'm printing shirts that I'm selling- with my designs.

Anyway, does anyone prefer the "less professional" method of point-and-place printing?

Sent from my iPhone using TShirtForums

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to have 3-4 (sets of) jiffy clamps for screens.

* place shirt on table, line up first color, print, flash, slide over to second color, line up, print, flash etc etc. *

Yay! I'm gonna do it.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know what it is about the press... I'm really bad at placement of the image on the screen so I thought that being able to move the shirt would be easier. If I kept the press I'd need to get bigger platens and that's either more cost (for the whole platen and bracket) or a pain and more cost (cutting the wood and buying the bracket). Ugh. I don't know what to do... I know it's nice and professional to have the press but I'd need the extra stuff... Help me figure this out........ !

·
Registered
861 Posts
kc6789 said:
I don't know what it is about the press... I'm really bad at placement of the image on the screen so I thought that being able to move the shirt would be easier. If I kept the press I'd need to get bigger platens and that's either more cost (for the whole platen and bracket) or a pain and more cost (cutting the wood and buying the bracket). Ugh. I don't know what to do... I know it's nice and professional to have the press but I'd need the extra stuff... Help me figure this out........ !

Sounds like you just need to practice where to place your image on the screen, this can be figured out very easily. Also, just buy the melamine board, cut your new platens with a jigsaw, and use the old brackets off the plattens that are too small.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd place the screen over the shirt myself for multicolors.

And yeah I guess I do need to practice. But about cutting the boards- make my dad get up, get out his saw and cut the freakin things. I'll be waiting

·
Registered
861 Posts
kc6789 said:
I'd place the screen over the shirt myself for multicolors.

And yeah I guess I do need to practice. But about cutting the boards- make my dad get up, get out his saw and cut the freakin things. I'll be waiting

When your at the home depot getting the melamine, pick up a $20 jigsaw, and cut them yourself. You will use it penty of times when you make different plattens. We make custom plattens all the time, in no time at all.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
If you're going to be moving the shirt around under a screen to register, you might as well skip the clamps all together and just do it on a table like they do in Indonesia, or Podunk, Central America, or wherever they do that table printing. Line your shirts upon a long table, and go from shirt to shirt, "registering" the screen to the shirt. Some get decent results, but I can't see doing it this way unless you simply have no money at all. Since you've got a press of some kind, even a crappy press HAS to be easier than table printing, at least as far as registering more than one color if registration is even close.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I screen print into oil paintings, sometimes directly onto the studio wall... you won't get tight registration consistently across multiple attempts but if you can prevent the screen from moving while it is in contact with the substrate you will get a crisp imprint... and one shot at getting it right.

if you take one of your screens and trace the outside onto a table , screw down a 1x2 on one side and the top and mark out your center lines/ ideal print area you can position your positive on your table with the tape already on it (sticky side up) when you lower your screen onto the table using the 1x2s as guides, the artwork will be placed precisely where you need it.

You should figure out how to get the most out of the press before you abandon it completely.

·
Registered
64 Posts
hehe iteresting, im printing your way, and I cant wait to finish building my 5colour press, so i can move from 2 colour simple designs.... since you have the press, put your effort in learning how to use it right, about plattens, is your dad only person who can cut them??, buy a jigsaw, or ask in in shop where you buy the plates , it will cost close to nothing to have them cut... good luck with your shirts!!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I just humbly asked my neighbor (with a table saw) to cut my MDF boards for me. They were shelves with the white laminate on them. I got them all cut, even the angled edges. Yayness! Now I need my dad to drill the holes for the bracket and it's all done!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
28.5"x16"

I'm glad it's 16" wide (at least).

Hopefully later I'll be able to get one that's 20"-22" wide for the real big prints. This will work well for now tho :)

I just have to learn to perfectly place the images when I burn the screens.

·
Registered
72 Posts
as I mentioned before, make a screen placement template on a table. Tape down a paper copy of your main sep and register all the colors to it, tape side up and lower the screen onto the table using the guides... placement is nearly perfect.

·
Registered
64 Posts
hey good job! listen im just curious how old are u? and where did you find that press of yours, was your family in printing business before?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts