T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking to do a whole line of metal rock(inspired) t-shirts using some of the images and logo's from them but Instead of having it say Metallica I am going to have it remade to say "SYSTEM". Such as this [media]http://unrealityshout.com/files/images/ride-the-lightning.preview.jpg[/media]

and slayers album cover with "SYSTEM" used instead of "SLAYER"http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/slayer-eagle-red-art.jpg

MY question is,"Is it alright to do this"

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
I was looking to do a whole line of metal rock(inspired) t-shirts using some of the images and logo's from them but Instead of having it say Metallica I am going to have it remade to say "SYSTEM"http://unrealityshout.com/files/images/ride-the-lightning.preview.jpg and slayers album cover with "SYSTEM" used instead of "SLAYER"

MY question is,"Is it alright to do this"
Not really. When artwork is created, it becomes the intellectual property of the person who created or commissioned it. So for you to use artwork you didn't create without permission, is considered infringement. You could be a risk to be sued.

There are a few exceptions, such as creating a parody. However, even when creating parody you could still be sued. But you would try to use the parody defense in court and see if the judge agrees. If you choose to go this route, it's best to consult an IP attorney first.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have related question about this issue, if you don't mind may I ask if
for example I am using my own design then added a bit of image from
the internet, is it illegal?

can we use images without the copyright or trademarks without criminal liability?

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It depends where you got the image from JC. If its from a stock or resource sites which offers its images free of charge and for commerical purposes like a number of images om deviant art then yes its ok. If it some random off of Google image search then no your going to get in trouble.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It depends where you got the image from JC. If its from a stock or resource sites which offers its images free of charge and for commerical purposes like a number of images om deviant art then yes its ok. If it some random off of Google image search then no your going to get in trouble.

Thanks for enlightening me. Now I know the limitations of my action with regards to borrowing images.

Please I have another question, do you have any idea how much it will cost to get royalty to print DC comics characters?

Thank you again and sorry for the trouble.

:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
To be honest to license DC comic characters i would imagine it would be a significant amount unless it one of the lesser known characters. If your going for batman or the green lantern your gonna be paying a lot.

·
Registered
83 Posts
To be honest to license DC comic characters i would imagine it would be a significant amount unless it one of the lesser known characters. If your going for batman or the green lantern your gonna be paying a lot.

I see. Thanks a lot Geoff, appreciate your help. Maybe later if my business prosper. For the meantime I will stick to my own designs. yey !!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts