T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys...

i've been reading up on silk screening and i've got a question about the curing part for silkscreening where they usually use a flash dyer / halogen lamp / etc.

i've got a heatpress for heat transfers... can that be used as a makeshift flash dryer or something?

sorry for the noob questions yeah...

·
Administrator
14,650 Posts
I read in another post that someone was using their heatpress as a dryer. It's tricky though because the upper platen can't touch the ink. And if it did, that would be a mess cleaning up.

I also saw a you tube video where someone used a heat gun to partially dry the ink, then used the press normally (with a cover sheet) to heat press.

·
Registered
67 Posts
if you do not want to invest in a flash cure unit then consider using waterbase inks. they can be cure just by pressing the shirt in your heat press. if the deposit is light enough you don't really need a cover sheet.

if you are using plastisol, then you are better off using your oven rather than a heat press.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I did try it pre-curing the ink with a heat gun, then with a teflon sheet, cure it in the heat press. The image (printing) would be kind of glossy. I didn't like the unnatural screen print look.
Then I bought an used flash dryer on craigslist for $200.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts