T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use thermoflex and use to have all kinds of problems pealing cold. WROUNG and they need to change the directions press at 350 for 5 seconds open peal off clear backing put teflon sheet down close and press for 20 seconds. Works every time and I have shirts of my own that have been washed over 30 times with no problems. Pealing that stuff cold is a pain.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know why they don't change the insturctions because if you follow the drictions it is a pain in the back side to use.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Funny you should bring this up. I recently ordered ThermoFlex from a vendor I had not used before. When I checked the instructions they sent with it (my memory isn't what it used to be), it said to cold peel. I thought "hmmm...I don't remember the instructions I had before saying to cold peel...nor do I remember having to press for 20 seconds...that seems like a long time for vinyl". Yea...cold peel did not work well at all!

Then I realized my heat press was partly to blame...I was not getting even pressure. I isolated the problem, and a new part is on the way. Luckily for me, the jobs I've had while waiting for the part are all over heart and sleeve placements, so I was able to use my cap press to get those out. Still, I hot peeled those, and they came out great. I did rub it down with a washcloth for a few seconds first.

I looked on-line at some other vendors for instructions. The Thermoflex sheet says "peel after cooling", but the basic instructions at Specialty-Graphics for example say "peel cold or warm".

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I'm not sure,but I think some of the name brand vinyls change manufacturer's for cost reasons, i think they find a good product that will protect there name in the industry. I know this happens in other industries and I'm sure it happens here. I know many people like siser and multicut are the same product. I know in the past when I would go to sears and buy a battery powered drill it would last a year. I would go to buy a battery and a drill with the same voltage( I though it would be the same,as it looked the same) was on sale for almost the same price with 2 batteries. I bought it and thought I would have 2 drills. The batteries and chargers would not interchange. I went back and found out they changed who made there drill. I'm just guessing, but it is possible this is the difference in the way the product works. .... JB

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I have tried other products and thermoflex works for me. I tried one product and it was a mess and being small I can not aford to waste shirts on trial and mess up.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Well I have tried other products and thermoflex works for me. I tried one product and it was a mess and being small I can not aford to waste shirts on trial and mess up.
I totally agree, anytime you spend money on a product that doesn't work it is frustrating. I would and do stick with products that, know works. .... JB

·
Registered
127 Posts
I just finished some shirts for a party,the shirts were black and I used the hot pink Thermoflex.The hot pink HAS to be peeled cold I tried a hot peel and it kind of delaminated.There was a layer of white underneath the pink.I was able to save the shirt by repressing and then peeling cold.

Curtis

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have not tried pink but I use alot of white and yellow on black. But I use reflective silver and it is real neat. I have not tried florence or day glow.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The pink definitely has to be cold peeled. I have found that different colors react different.Some I cold peel and some I hot peel.

fortunately with vinyl you can almost always reapply you at first don't succeed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
When I try a new color I cut a small price of the thermo flex and try it on one of my scrap shirt to see how it will peel. Just because of the reasons stated above.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I would charge the same price for color on color, as I would for anything elas. I base my pricing on material used and time. .... JB

1 - 17 of 17 Posts