T-Shirt Forums banner

Used Brother gt541 - ink and platens. Please hwlp

[Brother GT-541] 
2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  api 
#1 ·
Hi, I have a possibility to buy Gt541 for a very good price (used of course). Two of the colours are almost finished and of course there isn't a place to buy brother ink, only to ship it, which costs almost twice as ink.

I found epson ink (eco-solvent) - is this can be used in this printer?

Also, there are normal platen and shoe platen. As I understand, if I want to print onsies I need smaller platen?

Also, the seller says it is very easy to make any service (clogs, cleanins etc). Is it true?

Please help.

Išsiųsta naudojantis EVA-L19 Tapatalk 4 Lt

#3 ·
I can answer a couple of these questions.

Yes, you should use a smaller platen for onsies. Alternatively, you could drop the height of the platen and lay the onsie on top of the normal platten. Doing this you run the risk of hitting the garment with the printhead or it moving. Also, the prints get a bit blurry if you get too far away from the print head.

Cleaning isn't horrible since you don't run white ink. It is realitively easy.

#6 ·
I was trying to look for this information and I only get the results to buy abroad. As I am living in Lithuania I need to know what kind of ink (not name, just type) is being used in this printet. Is it so hard to tell? I know how to use google and trust me, I did a lot of research

Išsiųsta naudojantis EVA-L19 Tapatalk 4 Lt

#9 ·
We have a GT-541 for 7 years now. No service calls whatsoever. It just prints, prints, prints. We use Brother ink, we keep the environment clean, warm, humid, etc..

In my opinion, try to find a way to use Brother ink, or if it is not feasible, don't buy the printer, no matter how cheap it is. It has 4 heads in it; each costs $1000 in the USA and probably more in your country. The incompatible ink can kill the heads easily and you will end up with a (very heavy) paperweight.

The Brother ink is expensive, even in the USA so people searched for other options. As far as I know Sawgrass was the only ink that worked but there were horror stories about it as well. We never switched from Brother to Sawgrass and I can certainly tell that we had no problems.

If your market can accept that, buy Brother ink and increase your prices accordingly. If this would price you out form the market, don't buy this printer. You won't be able to find a replacement ink that is reliably compatible with the GT-541 (except MAYBE Sawgrass). Putting solvent ink into the printer is an efficient way of manufacturing paperweights. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.