T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In starting out is it best to use a vendor or purchase the software myself.

The items I will be making are personalized so really I need one at a time.

Not sure where to begin to finally get this going

jjubie

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
All depends on the type of designs you are doing, and the appropriate skill level with computer/design modeling systems. Some of us on here are bigger computer geeks than others so using high end software is easy. A good point to start from is www.freeserifsoftware.com which as I posted in another thread make sure you buy it, only costs $10 for the download, so as to ensure you have a commercial use in the terms and conditions of the agreement. Also, if you are more computer savvy, you can go to www.blender.org, www.gimp.org, www.makehuman.org among others....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Tom,

I've worked in illustrator & photoshop for many years at this point and will hardly refer to myself as a computer geek.

I will however refer to the sites you've suggested and see which best I can connect with.

Someone on this site suggested I use Jetpro Sofstretch.
Is this something that I can print on transfer paper, which software to use and which printers are best to work with.

Joanne

·
Registered
412 Posts
Joanne, many use CorelDraw or Adobe. Others use some of the freeware or whatever. Most prefer vector art for shirts. It depends on the person. JPSS is transfer paper for inkjet printers, most use Epson. The c120 is popular, as is the 1400 for wider papers. Some use off the shelf ink but most prefer Heat Transfer inks. Search the forums and read as much as you can. Request samples of paper before investing heavily. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Chet,

At this point I hadn't considered that the ink itself has to be "heat transfer ink."

Joanne

·
Registered
412 Posts
Thanks Chet,

At this point I hadn't considered that the ink itself has to be "heat transfer ink."

Joanne
Technically, it does not have to be HT ink. Many use the oem ink that comes with the c120 because it is a pigment ink. Sometimes they tweak the color to get it right, others have used it as is. Most use the HT ink because the blacks and yellows won't shift colors when heat pressed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Inks

Hi Chet,

I'm looking to print "JetPro Sofstretch"in a (1) color green.

Do you think it best I use HT ink for this rather than what comes with the printer?

Joanne

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I use the oem ink and it prints and holds up great. ask Lou he was using oem, but now has a bulk system for money saving reasons. He has stated he wished epson would make a system. .... JB

·
Registered
412 Posts
Re: Inks

Hi Chet,

I'm looking to print "JetPro Sofstretch"in a (1) color green.

Do you think it best I use HT ink for this rather than what comes with the printer?

Joanne
I agree with JB. I think the green on JPSS will be fine. I wish Epson would make their pigment inks heat transfer compatible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts