T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this question's in the right place! Here goes.....

I want to create a design that will be very loosly based on a particular vehicle. The name of the vehicle is Trademarked, as are all original images. I don't want to copy the images at all, just want to use the function of the vehicle to create my design.

As a comparison, Saltrock have the Tok character and they also use the VW camper van in many designs. Would they have to have permission from VW to use this image?

Any advise greatly appreciated, apologies if I have been a bit vague over my initial description!

Justin

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hi Justin,
I've seen loads of T-Shirt brands using a Camper image but I'm not sure what you mean when you say use the function of the vehicle to create your design?

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
The usual this-forum-can't-give-legal-advice disclaimer....

I'm not sure we could advise without a bit more info, which I can understand you wouldn't want to give.

Maybe. Or maybe not.

·
Premium Member
27,689 Posts
I know a guy that got a cease and desist from VW for selling a cartoon picture of a VW bug that he drew that didn't have any vw logos on it.

You could still tell the model vehicle it was (which I think was part of their "brand"), so they wanted to protect the merchandising rights for that.

Definitely a question best saved for a lawyer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts