T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I won an auction on ebay the other day for a MH-721 cutter. I have been doing alot of searching on here and somewhat learning:confused: -I also have read good things about this unit on here.. Anyway, as I wait for this unit to ship to me I have a few questions.
-It comes with 3 blades- Are these all the same ( I believe I have read about different degree blades on here) Will these be adequate for me starting out? I intend to start learning making stickers and decals.
-What kind of Vinyl? I have read good things about Oracle 651..?? As I mentioned, I want to start learning by doing text stickers and work into images. For me learning, is there a cheap vinyl (or even paper) to use to get the trick of it?
-Lastly (for now);) -From all my searching, I have read that this unit does not come with the best of instructions. Is this true? I would like to set it up via USB. Any good advice to prepare myself before it arrives.
Thanks for any help...

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I would suggest if you want detailed advice about this product to pm theflowerboxx. As he has 2 of these machines and swears by them. I also suggest you check out the UScutter forum for more detailed info. I have heard these are work horse machines.They do a great job for a little investment. I wish you the best of luck . .... JB

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Yup I love mine, as JB said, I own 2 of them and I wouldn't be afraid to put mine up against any other machine.

I use Flexisign PRO so I can't help you with setting up Sign Blazer as I don't use it. I would go to www.uscutter.com and join the forum, they will get you up and running in no time flat.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. I have been checking that website as well.
As for the vinyl- is there a good choice for beginning or for practicing on without spending alot of money?? The first decals I will make are going to be practice. Has anyone used the sample pack from UsCutter?? I see it on ebay also. The vinyl is 24" wide. An obvious question I think but- Can I cut that down to whatever width I want to the smallest the cutter will accept for small items-right??

Thanks

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Yes you can cut it down to whatever size you want down to about 2" width. As for their vinyl, I have never used that particular vinyl, if I was you I would get some of their Oracal 651 as it is excellent vinyl. You can also use the pen attachment that comes with it and "draw" on paper, instead of cutting vinyl.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Like stated above, you can use the pen attachment to draw before you cut.. Or you can buy some of that cheap vinyl on ebay to test it out, but be prepared for a struggle if you do chose to buy that cheap vinyl that some of it is either real old or chewy and you won't be happy with the results, just a heads up. Goodluck

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks- This pen attachment comes with the unit? GREAT -is so!!
Also, I have read plenty that beginners have a hard time with getting the blade just right for cutting.
I suppose the more differant vinyl I try, the more headaches I will have???

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I would start with the blade out about the thickness of a credit card. The different vinyl will need different amounts of pressure to cut them and the blade depth should stay the same. .... JB

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I've been using a 721 for a year with no problems at all. I would not waste my time with the USB connection. If you must use USB, go to a computer store and buy a USB->Serial converter. The one that comes with the plotter will probably not work. If you can go serial from the PC to the plotter, you won't have any problems. I use FlexiPro 8. I tried Sign Blazer and thought it was more of a hobby type program, not something a real sign shop would use. It's kind of like using a screw driver to pound in a nail. Eventually you'll get the job done, but there are much more sfficiant tools available.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for the answers!! I appreciate it. I just received the cutter. Now just need to set it up and find time!!:)

another question I have is -What is the differance between the 60 degree Blades and the 45 degree blades??

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
usually you will use the 60 degree blade for heavier types of vinyl such as flock and glitter, and the 45% for ther normal sign and heat transfer vinyl. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
The 60 degree blade will cut detail better, I remember reading that. I also know it is used to cut flock.I think to cut flock you turn the blade around and slow the speed down. .... JB

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks again for the replys- I will stick with the 60 degree blades!!
Another quick question. How small of a cut or design can you actually do on these cutters? Whether for a Decal/Sign or shirt?? How small/width of media (vinyl) will the 721 accept??
Any examples of what you might have done?
Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all just purchased a refine mh-721 cutter i have a problem with the machine or maybe the software or user:) that when i cut a letter for example an "o" the cutter does not compleatly cut the "o" the start and the finnish of the cut do not meet if that makes sense and leaves a small section that did not get cut making weeding very time consuming as i have to finnish the cut manually with a knife i am using windows 2000 OS with artcut software which came with the plotter and the parallel port cable is there any adjustment for this?

Thanks for any help
Cheers Chris

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
US Cutter is selling Refine 24" cutters at 2 different prices. I wrote and ask them what the difference was and they replied different manufacturers. Not much to go on. The natural assumption is that the more expensive one must be better in some way but I don't see it in the specs. Can anyone shed some light on this?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts