T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang, I need urgent help please. Just been offered a job to print 13 Organza panels with basic font on each. Large letters making up a band name. Has anyone here screened on this material and what would be a reasonable quote? Artwork has been supplied and think I'll need 7 screens or just one and re-use it! What's ur thoughts? Time is ticking and I have very little of that (ie: less than a week). Thanks :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Ink needs something to grip to, and if that material is slick, I'd be inclined to use plastisol with some Nylobond to get it to stick.
It really doesn't matter whether or not you do 7 screens or one screen 7 times, as the amount of work is the same. Where it matters is on the front end if you need to get the job out quickly, it'll go faster if you coat, shoot, and washout 7 screens, then print.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think the actual process of printing will be hard just the fact of the screen size (which I don't have). I don't really want to pay $200 for a new screen that size. Was wondering if I should sub the job out and still retain some form of income. If anyone here in Melbourne is interested...sing out!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I would politely turn that job down. Short turnaround, weird substrate, and untried technique will cause you to end up with nothing but problems. Organza can be polyester or nylon and is quite thin.

Screenprinters don't have to print everything - Just do what you are good at. When I was starting I thought that I should be able to do everything that came my way. Spent years trying to master the occasional coroplast job, or glass etch, or metal signs. Never made any money and was always trying to make stuff work.

Now we just print t-shirts--lots and lots of t-shirts. We know how to do it and do it well. When we get a request for a flag, or a sign, or anything else, we politely say no and go back to printing lots of t-shirts :)

Good luck!

·
Registered
924 Posts
If I took that job (which I probably would not) I would tell the customer the cost and would not take any responsibility for anything that I may screw up. The cost would be enormous, I would charge for research, special ink everything that I could think of. I would try to scare the customer off as best I could. If they were willing to buy after that I would try some more. A short story of how I did this in the past. Customer comes in and ask if I would print these aluminum plates for his customer. I told him that it was not my specialty but he insisted. I gave what I thought was a price that was really high, there is no way he will ever want me to do this. He brought over 200 parts that afternoon. I got good at it and he was my biggest profit customer for a couple of years. We were printing as many as 1,000 parts a week for $2.50 a part and could print all of them in about 4 hours. Moral! If your going to do this price it high if they say no, you lost nothing. If they say yes than man up!

Reactions: IncT
1 - 6 of 6 Posts