T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats good everybody. just dropping in to ask advice from anyone who is starting to create or has already established an urbanwear shirt line. like those of BAPE, OBEY, THE HUNDREDS, LEMAUR & DAULEY. I was wondering if there is any specific advice you may lend to me. what company do they get their ****s from, what printing methods they use, how they get their designs, what legal steps does one need to take when creating their own clothing label and things of that nature. thanks for your time.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Re: urbanwear

you will get some tips/info from the board, there are some brilliant peeps here.

Im not one of them though.............bwahahaha :)

have you thought about paying a Branding or Brand re-vamp design/consulting firm ? I know they cost some pessos but.....just an idea.

·
Premium Member
27,689 Posts
Re: urbanwear

was wondering if there is any specific advice you may lend to me. what company do they get their ****s from, what printing methods they use, how they get their designs, what legal steps does one need to take when creating their own clothing label and things of that nature.
A lot of that information is here in the forums, but generally, the larger urbanwear companies buy t-shirts by the 1000's, so they pay to have them custom made in overseas factories (india, china, honduras, etc)

Many of them are screen printed, some are embroidered, some use dischage printing, some do a combination of printing methods. When you are ordering 1000's of t-shirts, you can do all kinds of things with t-shirts :)

They usually have designers on staff that come up with new t-shirt designs and clothing line ideas. Although, if you are creative, you could probably come up with designs yourself.

The bigger companies also have legal teams that deal with the legal stuff. But forming a business structure (sole proprietor, LLC, partnership, etc), registering with your state as a business, getting a tax id/reseller license are all steps in getting started.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Here is the best advice I can give. Read, read, read, read, and read. Then when you know a little ask a question that you really want/need an answer to.

Do all the research you can.

·
Premium Member
2,957 Posts
That's probably the best advice ever!

I know that's the first thing I did when I found this site, and others have said that they did the same.

I almost wish Rodney would put it on the homepage and it be required before someone joins, but I know that's not going to happen!

It sounds kind of harsh to do, but it's probably the best thing for someone that really wants to learn.

·
Premium Member
27,689 Posts
It sounds kind of harsh to do, but it's probably the best thing for someone that really wants to learn.
The thing is, different people learn in different ways. Some members may not know how to navigate the different areas of the forum or find the information they are looking for.

We welcome all questions :) New members, old members, simple questions, startup questions, detailed questions. Without questions, we wouldn't have much to discuss.

For those of us that have seen the same question a few times, it usually only takes a few seconds to navigate to where we know the thread is or use the right terms that we remember from the topic to find it in the search to help out newer members :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
obey actually started out as shepard fairey going to college and being facinated about stickers...and andre the giant. and then it evolved into wheatpasting and finally tshirts. i love that company.

ahhhhh, phenomenology! - better check it out, pretty neat stuff!

·
Premium Member
2,957 Posts
Rodney said:
We welcome all questions :) New members, old members, simple questions, startup questions, detailed questions. Without questions, we wouldn't have much to discuss.

For those of us that have seen the same question a few times, it usually only takes a few seconds to navigate to where we know the thread is or use the right terms that we remember from the topic to find it in the search to help out newer members :)
Yeah, I know.:eek:

Of course, I'm always glad to help, or just find a thread and post the link really quick.

Just wishful thinking aloud, I guess.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
27,689 Posts
Comin'OutSwingin said:
Of course, I'm always glad to help, or just find a thread and post the link really quick.
Yes, and it's very much appreciated. I've learned a lot from your posts :)

Just wishful thinking aloud, I guess.:rolleyes:
No worries, I understand :), I just wanted to make sure folks reading this thread, that may not be members yet, know that they are welcome to register and post any questions they may have.

With that said, let's return to our regulary scheduled on topic discussion :)

If anybody has any other feedback/suggestinos for the forum, feel free to post them in the Feedback Forum :)

whats good everybody. just dropping in to ask advice from anyone who is starting to create or has already established an urbanwear shirt line
If you have any other specific questions at all after reading through the threads, feel free to ask :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
ontheCoMeUP said:
whats good everybody. just dropping in to ask advice from anyone who is starting to create or has already established an urbanwear shirt line. like those of BAPE, OBEY, THE HUNDREDS, LEMAUR & DAULEY. I was wondering if there is any specific advice you may lend to me. what company do they get their ****s from, what printing methods they use, how they get their designs, what legal steps does one need to take when creating their own clothing label and things of that nature. thanks for your time.
Wow, good to see someone else interested in high end streetwear on this board. I just started a streetwear brand along with a high school friend. In fact, I was chillin with the guys from The Hundreds, Crooks n Castles, and many others at a Magic party a couple nights ago in Vegas. We launched in April and are now getting ready to release a Fall line in about a month. What you will soon learn, if you are serious about this, is that help among our circle is hard to come by. With no fashion or apparel background whatsoever, we learned everything from the ground up. I understand the reason for it - but hate it - and vowed to never turn down a request for help, even when we become sucessful. (Just don't ask to see a preview of anything we're doing for the future. That remains a secret, even to my momma.)

First, what everyone else is saying is true: do research yourself. That means to read up on the internet, msg boards like this, magazines, everything. You will have a better understanding of how things work rather than if someone just told you. That being said, don't be afraid to ask if you have questions.

Of those brands you named, they are all doing cut and sew (not sure about L&D). But they all started doing prints on someone else's blanks, before they got big. And unless you know how to make a pattern and have $$$ to do cut and sew, you too will be starting w/ blanks. If you're looking for a lighter, more fitted shirt, the popular choice is American Apparel. If it's a baggier, heavier shirt you want (that still has a nice body cut), go with Alstyle Apparel. We are using Alstyle this season. That was our choice from the beginning but due to time constraints (Alstyle tends to be slow getting out their orders) we were forced to go with Gildan - and absolutely hated it.

The majority of shirts are still done with screenprinting and traditional plastisol inks. Discharge printing is being requested more due to the popularity of "all over" designs. Finding a printer who can do this will be hard, not to mention expensive. Finding someone who can do it on a pre made blank shirt is even harder. So forget all that for now, and just stick to regular screenprinting. Look at all your favorite brands and you will see most their designs are 1-3 colors tops. It is a constraint and will be something you or your designer will have to work around but these are the most profitable shirts (and that is the name of the game). Your goal is to produce something cheap, profitable, and printed w/ quality. Which leads me to this...

Find a printer who has done a clothing line. A lot of people will tell you it's not necessary. But take it from me - someone who works right up your alley - this is important. In our niche market, a lot of times designs are printed off center, over seams, on collars, on the side, etc. You need a printer who understands the constraints to these methods. You need a printer who has the desire to do more than just logos and corporate promotional pieces, especially if they're doing your separations. My rule of thumb is this: if they're pushing Gildan as their highest quality shirt, get out of there quick (no offense to anyone). If you see Alstyle boxes everywhere inside the shop, that is a good sign. Not something to live by, but it's a good start.

Don't go buckwild and order up 1000 shirts on your first run. Have your samples made first. Make sure everything is right. Don't settle for anything. They will charge you by the hour for this. It is worth every penny. Bring your samples to stores, tradeshows, sample sales, etc and get orders from buyers before you make a big batch. This is standard practice in the fashion game. The last thing you want is a big inventory sitting around. Time is money and the longer they sit, the more money you're losing. Be realistic - everyone wants to think their product will be successful (and they should) but they ain't going nowhere if your friends and your bedroom are the only ones seeing it. If you want to start out small, start out small. If you want to do it big, you better have your buyers lined up. Know that boutiques who carry streetwear will not normally buy from anyone new. Don't get discouraged, send them your line sheet/catalog anyway. Send it again when your 2nd season comes around, to show you are serious.

All that is part of a business plan. You gotta know at all times:

Where is money coming from?
How much money is going out?
How will people see your product?
Who is your target market? What do they buy? How do they dress? How much are they willing to spend....on a new brand?

Legal stuff: trademark your name, file with your state and city, get your sellers permit and tax id, have a lawyer just in case, keep your designs on the low.

Keep reading these forums. Feel free to ask if you got a question. Good luck with your company.

·
Premium Member
27,689 Posts
What you will soon learn, if you are serious about this, is that help among our circle is hard to come by. With no fashion or apparel background whatsoever, we learned everything from the ground up. I understand the reason for it - but hate it - and vowed to never turn down a request for help, even when we become sucessful.
Thanks for sharing that great information, aerodynamics!

That's the kind of stuff that makes this place great :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts