T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what shirt Urban Outfitters uses on their private brand Urban Renewal? It looks as if they sew their own tag over the suppliers tag. The RN number is 77600 but it comes up with a company I can't find any information about.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
You have to click on the letters RN on your RN search result to get the company info (it shows the company's name and phone numbers when I searched)

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Isn't their Urban Renewal range the one that's often dragged down in controversy? In that they take decorated apparel, hack off the arms, and sell it as their own? I seem to recall them doing something bad to Busted Tees or someone similar.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
monkeylantern said:
I seem to recall them doing something bad to Busted Tees or someone similar.
They've ripped off a few people... Jonny Cupcakes was the most well known example, but they've done worse. There was someone smaller they ripped off even more blatantly, but I don't recall who at the moment.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Google is my friend: Crownfarmer

(and as you said, they cut out the design and sewed it onto the back of other garments)

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
On the plus side, they must have put in a major order at Crownfarmer at some point.....one would think that an order or 5,000 shirts on an Urban Outfitters account might have given CF a clue that they were to be resold (admittedly, hacking them up and making new garments is a different story).

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
monkeylantern said:
On the plus side, they must have put in a major order at Crownfarmer at some point.....one would think that an order or 5,000 shirts on an Urban Outfitters account might have given CF a clue
True, it also rather takes the edge off their "compensation" claims... selling 5,000 shirts doesn't count as compensation? ;)

When I first read that a year or more ago I took it to mean they had copied the design and re-printed it in that manner. Looking at it again now, it does look more like they took the garments, cut them up, and re-sold them. I don't know which it was, but to me it makes a significant difference.

While I don't like that, and it does potentially affect Crownfarmer's image... it's certainly not as bad as my first take.

(regardless, I'm sure we can all agree the resultant beast is a hideous garment to behold :))

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Rodney said:
Let's keep this on the topic folks :)
Well, it is *slightly* on topic. By the fact they seem to cut-and-paste various products for their Urban Renewal range, I'm guessing they have no genuine RN....given they're Frankensieinial creations.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Solmu said:
While I don't like that, and it does potentially affect Crownfarmer's image... it's certainly not as bad as my first take.

(regardless, I'm sure we can all agree the resultant beast is a hideous garment to behold :))

I'm sure CF could have made it a nice long-term business contract, if they hadn't raced in with guns blazing. An Urban Outfitters contract is not to be sniffed at.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
I'm guessing they have no genuine RN....given they're Frankensieinial creations.
I saw a company listed under the RN number. So I'm pretty sure there is a genuine RN number for the garments at least. That's the important part for this topic (not whether there is another garment stitched to the back...which is definitely interesting and newsworthy, just not in this particular thread :)).

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I've seen a few of the Urban Renewal shirts, both for girls. They were made from about 3 or 4 other garments (the bottom half quatered and re-sewn from 2, the chest a band, and the shoulders and neck a different original shirt).

The linked article is very low-level re-manufacturing for the UR range. For a lot of the shirts, I don't think it's possible to have an RN that is applicable to the whole garment....it's very much a "recycled ethic" they're aiming for, made from random scraps (although no doubt by the 1000s, as opposed to one-offs).

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
It seems like a lot of the large urban retail chains (e.g. Hot Topic, Urban Outfitters, etc.) don't have one supplier as we might expect a company like Stussy, Nike, etc. to do (although even then they do have multiple factories - even companies like Hanes manufacture in different countries).

When someone was trying to chase down the supplier Torrid uses for example, they listed five RNs which corresponded to four different companies.

Urban Outfitters source their shirts (legitimately) from other companies (like Busted Tees and Jinx to name two). They use American Apparel sometimes. I'm guessing they use a variety of brands that are used by their suppliers (i.e. they use AA when Busted give them shirts - Jinx normally use Hanes, so I don't know if that means UO would then use Hanes or if they would ask Jinx to do a special print run).

What I'm getting at is that there is no UO brand. Their Urban Renewal line may be more unified, but I doubt it. They use whatever is appropriate to get the job done (or gives a good price for that type of garment, or whatever), rather than one brand that we can also get.

Other than that, as has been said in the past a lot of their suppliers would be private manufacturers rather than blank companies. You can use the RN to get the contact details and negotiate a supply contract of your own, but you can't just buy what they're buying.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
monkeylantern said:
For a lot of the shirts, I don't think it's possible to have an RN that is applicable to the whole garment....
That wouldn't be a problem if they had their own RN and kept records of where each "segment" was sourced from.

In Australia the regulations for fabric remnants are different to the regulations for new garments - it's possible that this re-manufacture puts them into a different category.

It's also going to make it all the harder to source.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So was anyone able to find more information about the RN# 77600 shirt? I guess the company behind it is www.bhcompany.com, but their site seems to be under construction.

Mostly I am interested in T's printed on shirts that have the 77600 (or similar) style. It would also be dope to get blank shirts from company...

Any advice on this?

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Rodney said:
You could try giving them a call with the information in the RN lookup (or whois details).
Or the one on the website itself... all three of which are the same phone number (which suggests to me it's probably accurate - no disagreement between sources).

The names and e-mail addresses are also all consistent, so you could also try that (a phone call would probably sort things quicker and get a better response though).

·
Registered
2 Posts
totally, i sent them an email, hopefully i will hear back soon. But if anyone knew of some other outlet or store that sold shirts printed on these shirts... that would be dope.

I haven't been to URBN in a while, but I should probably check there... does anyone know if they still screen prints on these shirts? Any other stores?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am about to ship test orders to Urban soon and this is the question I have had as well. I have been sampling on AmericanApparel but the pricing is really tight. I am headed to the store today and hope to see lesser quality so that my margins work better on my side.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts