T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here and didn't see my specific issue, sorry if I missed it. I'm trying to start my own business.

Before coming here I decided to buy some transfer paper and a cheap heat press from ebay, which I read later is not recommended. I do not know the manufacturer of the heat press. The paper was chromacotton (which I have none left right now). I printed a design with chromacotton ink and an epson workforce printer. I pressed a light transfer onto a Gildan white shirt. My very first transfer, although small, was successful with no issues. So being new at this, I thought this was going be easy and that any kind of transfer paper and ink would work fine. I think I may be wrong.

So, my issue is with Avery Dark Fabric Transfers that I get from walmart. I'm using those since I'm out of the chromacotton paper. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to use an iron or if I can heat press them. I'm using a heat press because I don't have an iron. I have successfully heat pressed 2 Avery light transfers. I thought after that worked then the Avery dark transfers would be just as easy. I have wasted 2 black shirts trying to press the dark transfers. I did do testing with both of these black shirts but they were wasted in the end. I used parchment paper for protection and I did press the shirts for 5 secs to remove moisture and wrinkles before doing the rest.

I have 3 issues with the dark transfers. On my 1st try the dark transfer stuck to the parchment paper and not the shirt. On my 2nd the transfer stuck to the parchment and the color became faded. On my 3rd the transfer stuck to the parchment, was faded and it stuck to the shirt...I had to use some strength to get most of it off.

Who can help me?

· Registered
825 Posts
I'm new here and didn't see my specific issue, sorry if I missed it. I'm trying to start my own business.

Before coming here I decided to buy some transfer paper and a cheap heat press from ebay, which I read later is not recommended. I do not know the manufacturer of the heat press. The paper was chromacotton (which I have none left right now). I printed a design with chromacotton ink and an epson workforce printer. I pressed a light transfer onto a Gildan white shirt. My very first transfer, although small, was successful with no issues. So being new at this, I thought this was going be easy and that any kind of transfer paper and ink would work fine. I think I may be wrong.

So, my issue is with Avery Dark Fabric Transfers that I get from walmart. I'm using those since I'm out of the chromacotton paper. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to use an iron or if I can heat press them. I'm using a heat press because I don't have an iron. I have successfully heat pressed 2 Avery light transfers. I thought after that worked then the Avery dark transfers would be just as easy. I have wasted 2 black shirts trying to press the dark transfers. I did do testing with both of these black shirts but they were wasted in the end. I used parchment paper for protection and I did press the shirts for 5 secs to remove moisture and wrinkles before doing the rest.

I have 3 issues with the dark transfers. On my 1st try the dark transfer stuck to the parchment paper and not the shirt. On my 2nd the transfer stuck to the parchment and the color became faded. On my 3rd the transfer stuck to the parchment, was faded and it stuck to the shirt...I had to use some strength to get most of it off.

Who can help me?

For one; around here you will see many sing the praises of Neenah transfer paper. Many others exist but the tried and true seem to be JetPro Soft Stretch for Whites (and lites) and 3G Opaque for darks. Make sure your printer has pigment inks (if you are running stock ink in your Epson WF printer it should be pigment), lastly without a reliable heatpress, you will be wasting a lot of time, energy and raw materials trying to produce usable prints. At the very least you should get a laser thermometer to see how close the temp is on your heat press. Some of these transfer papers have very little tolerance for temp errors. Get that right first. Good luck and welcome.

CalhTech>

· Registered
8,807 Posts
I know some operators use opaque papers for darks but in 17 years I have not found any inkjet paper for darks that I consider commercially viable. There are problems with cracking, washing issues and has a very heavy hand. If I can't do it with HPV, I probably out source for plastisol transfer

· Registered
8,374 Posts
Its hit and miss with opaque. I have done some that have lasted a very long time and some that washed out or cracked after a few washes. Same papers same profiles, same heat, same pressure. Pre pressed shirts. It part of the reasons I got into screen printing. I was never comfortable selling the shirts. I did some for a few events with the understanding they were only good for a short period of time. That was 7 years ago. I was in Walmart in January and seen 1 of the shirts I did 7 years ago. Although it was faded it still looked good and wasn't cracked. I had to ask the person wearing it how often they wore it, washed it ect. I was surprised when they said often, and no turning it inside out or taking out of the dryer early.

There is a shop locally that's all they do is inkjet. They have been in business for 5 years and offer light and dark shirts. They are in a very expensive prime location. I've been thinking of stopping and talking to them. See what info they are willing to share. I don't do any inkjet stuff anymore and thought about talking to him about some plastisol transfers for their top selling stock images. If I get any info I will share.

· Registered
1,435 Posts
I would suggest reading your instructions with your transfer paper and seeing if you are doing it correctly. When it comes to inkjet transfers usually the white/light colored papers will transfer face down, the Opaques generally transfer face up. It's never a case of what works for one, works for all, whenever trying a new material (or if you're unsure), check the manufacturer's suggested settings, time temp, pressure, and etc will often change.

· Registered
825 Posts

Who can help me?

Are you removing the printed film from the carrier sheet? I don't assume anything. With darks the film usually has to be removed from the carrier unlike lights where you print in reverse and remove the carrier sheet after pressing. With darks you remove the carrier before pressing. Just double checking.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have followed instructions for the Avery dark transfers. I don't know the recommended temp settings to use with a heat press and these transfers. I can't find it. Maybe that would fix my issues, I don't know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.