T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just opened up a 5 gallon drum of dual cure emulsion that I was going to sensitize 1 gallon of, and it has the consistincy of Gak(if you remember that stuff). I was under the impression that if it wasn't sensitized it would keep. My question is, is there anything I can do to bring it back to regular consistancy or is it a lost cause? If it can't use it for imaging could I maybe mix up some and use it as a permanent blockout for stock screens instead of tape. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Sorry I don't have a solution to your problem but I had fun making nasty fart noises with Gak lol.

Sent from my iPhone using TShirtForums

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Dual-cure is shipped partially pre-sensitized and must be stored under proper conditions. The "dual" comes from the diazo you add when you have decided to sensitize it.

You can't taste sour emulsion it like milk that's gone bad but, the Lot#/birth date is one of the variables you should use in you judgment in the future. If you didn't use up the container in 12 months, you need to buy smaller next time, just like milk. A gallon of milk is a great value per ounce, but if you can't use it before the expire date, it's a waste. Milk is often good for up to 3 weeks - but if I leave milk in the sun at the picnic, it won't.

Alas, once it's gelled, the acrylic resins grafted to the photo polymers are cross linked, and it's not much use to you.

Room Temperature Storage 68°F to 75°F (20 - 25°C):
Unsensitized: 1 year; protect against freezing.
Sensitized: approx. 4 weeks.
Coated screens: approx. 6 weeks at 68°F to 75°F (20 - 25°C) 30-50% humidity

The diazo sensitizer has a shelf life of 1 year at 68°F to 75°F (20 - 25°C)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dual-cure is shipped partially pre-sensitized and must be stored under proper conditions. The "dual" comes from the diazo you add when you have decided to sensitize it.

You can't taste sour emulsion it like milk that's gone bad but, the Lot#/birth date is one of the variables you should use in you judgment in the future. If you didn't use up the container in 12 months, you need to buy smaller next time, just like milk. A gallon of milk is a great value per ounce, but if you can't use it before the expire date, it's a waste. Milk is often good for up to 3 weeks - but if I leave milk in the sun at the picnic, it won't.

Alas, once it's gelled, the acrylic resins grafted to the photo polymers are cross linked, and it's not much use to you.

Room Temperature Storage 68°F to 75°F (20 - 25°C):
Unsensitized: 1 year; protect against freezing.
Sensitized: approx. 4 weeks.
Coated screens: approx. 6 weeks at 68°F to 75°F (20 - 25°C) 30-50% humidity

The diazo sensitizer has a shelf life of 1 year at 68°F to 75°F (20 - 25°C)
Thanks so much, any thoughts on using it as a blockout?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup that's what did it I upgraded to a descent shop from a shed and It got mixed up amongst the ink and blamo.......money down the drain. I think I might try and paint/sculpt it up on some plywood for a fun mixed media piece. My buddies brother did that with some left over tar and rope and nails and sold it 4 some good money then did about 6 more pieces. You never know what people will pay for.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Because we don't really know what happened, you'd still have to experiment. Scrape some on an old open screen and let it dry. Plastisol probably won't effect it.

Remember that dual-cure is partially sensitized at the factory, so you have to remove it like any other stencil by using stencil remover.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah I'm gonna try it this weekend, I'm going to reserve it for border work instead of tape on my stock screens, I use my waterbased blockout for pinholes. I'll be sure to let you all know how it works out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts