T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

One of my first posts here, longtime reader.

My questions is...

What's the best way to clean up unexposed emulsion goo? after coating screens.

I've been wiping and using paper towels, it's always a pain and hella messy.

Is this the only or best way? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

-Justin

·
Registered
66 Posts
Do you use an emulsion scoop coater or do you use cardboard to coat the screen? I use a scoop coater and when I am finished I use a 3-4 inch plastic paint scraper ($2 at Lowe's) to get the emulsion back into the can, then wash my coater.

edit: oh do you mean spills and stuff? 1) Use a coater to prevent spills and 2) I use wet paper towels if there is any spilled.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you use an emulsion scoop coater or do you use cardboard to coat the screen? I use a scoop coater and when I am finished I use a 3-4 inch plastic paint scraper ($2 at Lowe's) to get the emulsion back into the can, then wash my coater.

edit: oh do you mean spills and stuff? 1) Use a coater to prevent spills and 2) I use wet paper towels if there is any spilled.
Hey thanks for the reply!

I'm using a coater scoop, after I'm finished I scrape it back to the bucket.

it's just seems like a waste, wiping that stuff off with water running for a few minutes and going through 5-6 paper towels.

I demand another way. lol

and spilling it sucks too.

and I should start using gloves.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I fianlly built a shelf in my dark room where I coat screens.

There are spills on the board-unless it is real bad-we leave it there.

Cleaning the scoop coater is very important. We use the clean up cards from Ryonet. They cost more-but work.

When we first started (prior to having a large enough shop to house the equip) we used our home bathroom. NOT a good idea. You are going to spill and drip no matter how careful you are-and I promise that while emulsion remover works on the screens like a champ-it does not work on the bath tub!

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
use emulsion remover to get it really clean and to take care of the dry stuff on your coater, then use water to finish.

·
Registered
29 Posts
We have spills and drips all over our coating table. We just let it dry up. After awhile, you can just take a screw driver and peel some of it up. Once you get under it a bit, the whole thing usually comes off like shedding skin.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I fianlly built a shelf in my dark room where I coat screens.

There are spills on the board-unless it is real bad-we leave it there.

Cleaning the scoop coater is very important. We use the clean up cards from Ryonet. They cost more-but work.
Ditto! I got some of those same cards now and everything from cleaning ink to emulsion is so much easier, cleaner, and you end up saving alot more supplies.

thanks for the card recommendation.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Learn to coat without spilling! to clean coater you can let it drip in to a separate emulsion container and then just take your coater to a sink and spray with water. just wash it like you would wash the dishes.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I put my emulsion into a pancake batter shaker. haha! And it easily pours into my scoop coater. After coating my screens, all I use r a couple popsicle sticks to scrape the left over emulsion back into the container. Then I give the scoop coater a couple sprays with emulsion remover liquid and wash it with hot water and a sponge.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I put my emulsion into a pancake batter shaker. haha! And it easily pours into my scoop coater. After coating my screens, all I use r a couple popsicle sticks to scrape the left over emulsion back into the container. Then I give the scoop coater a couple sprays with emulsion remover liquid and wash it with hot water and a sponge.
I always put emulsion back into a separate container since it can contaminate the rest of the emulsion. I then save it as emergency emulsion or block out. I do not think it is necessary to spray reclaimer into your scoop coater because it will just wash out with water. Just like when you wash out screens.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just got tired of the gooey mess in the sink.

But the popsicle sticks or cards are a must imo

1 - 12 of 12 Posts