T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm reading the Silk Screen for fun and profit book. It keeps referring to an underbase needed for "dark" shirts.

Most of the t-shirts I own are all different colors. I can't find any that look like they have an extra base layer. Some I can see where a color was printed over top of another color where they overlap, but not an entire base coat.

Are underbases used for shirts that are colors like green, red, blue, ect? I have a lot of green and red shirts, including some that I had silk-screened at a local shop, and none of them look like they have any kind of base coat underneath the image.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm reading the Silk Screen for fun and profit book. It keeps referring to an underbase needed for "dark" shirts.

Most of the t-shirts I own are all different colors. I can't find any that look like they have an extra base layer. Some I can see where a color was printed over top of another color where they overlap, but not an entire base coat.

Are underbases used for shirts that are colors like green, red, blue, ect? I have a lot of green and red shirts, including some that I had silk-screened at a local shop, and none of them look like they have any kind of base coat underneath the image.
lets simplify this.. u need a base coat (underlay) when printing most colors on most colored shirts.. example.. if u print yellow on a blue shirt.. after printed, the print will look kind of greenish.. , make sense? the white base coat neutralizes the color of the shirt so when u print the actual color on top of the flashed underlay, the print will look vibrant.. try printing red on a black shirt with no base coat underneath the red. The red will almost look maroonish when cured... cause that is the black shirt underneath.. print the red ontop of a flash cured base coat.. that red will look nice and bright.. the printed shirts that u say you have that u cant see an base coat? turn the shirt inside out then see if u can see the white underneath the print. Ha ha, i just re read all of what i wrote. I probably confused the hell outa you :) Hope i helped

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I have turned some shirts inside out. Some I can see where colors overlap by holding it up to a light, but I can't see evidence of any base coats. One shirt I had made is a black print on a red shirt.

Is a base coat generally used for black on a colored shirt. Like black on a red shirt or black on a green shirt.

·
Registered
175 Posts
black will cover red just fine.. no need for a base coat for prints like that... u need base coats on and colored shirts that are going to have lighter colors printed on it.. example.. u dont need a white underlay under a black print on a royal blue shirt but u will need a white underlay on that royal blue shirt if u are gonna print lets say orange or red or any other color.. understand? ever paint a new wall? u have to put a primer coat first on that wall before u paint on it because the wall will absorb the color and look dull without that primer coat. Same concept

·
Administrator
14,650 Posts
What do you do when you put white ink on a dark colored shirt?
You would put two layers of white, flash drying the first coat before you put on the 2nd.

But it also depends on the look you are trying to get. I print a lot of white ink on dark garments without the 2nd coat if i am trying to get a worn or vintage look.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I noticed that on some of my shirts the white ink looks thicker than the other colors.

You would put two layers of white, flash drying the first coat before you put on the 2nd.

But it also depends on the look you are trying to get. I print a lot of white ink on dark garments without the 2nd coat if i am trying to get a worn or vintage look.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts