T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm new to this and would love any kind of help or suggestions you might have to make this as simple as possible for me. I'm trying to do a simple one color left chest print and another print across the back on 60 of our team's T-shirts. I have already tried the Speedball Diazo emulsion and exposed my 2 screens as Speedball suggested which failed. The Diazo's shelf life likely expired since it was very chunky with black bits that never dissolved or turned the correct shade of green I've been reading about )). After reading lots of posts on the internet, I am now about to try the Ulano Orange.

I am using:
  • 2 Speedball 10" x 14" screens
  • Emulsion: ULANO ORANGE. I plan on coating under yellow light (Bug LED light) in my bathroom with no windows, one coat each side of screen. Any suggestions on coating in the dark? I have only coated the screens once as mentioned above in low light in the kitchen using just the squeegee. It was nice and clean without drips.
  • Light Source: EIKO BBA#1 250 Watt Photoflood bulb.
  • I'll be exposing the screen in the bathroom and rinsing it after exposing in the bathtub. I hope the force of the tub water will be sufficient.
  • Ink: JACQUARD Professional quality #119 Super Opaque white water soluble
  • Iron after to set ink

My questions are:
1) exposure time and distance using Ulano Orange with the above EIKO bulb
2) want to confirm the emulsion will be fine using the yellow bug LED light to coat the screens
3) wanted to confirm the screen needs to be washed out after exposure in the yellow bug LED light safe area too
4) wanted to confirm using an iron after will set the ink
5) I'll take any help or suggestions you'd like to pass along. I've been working on this for a while and I'd really like to get this project completed without more messed up screens.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
1. See the link in my sig. You determine correct exposure by doing a test. Only takes one screen to test a range of like 10 different exposures. Or could test with a test strip thingy, but the problem with that is that it wasn't printed by your printer, so is not a true end-to-end test of what will be used for your actual art.

2. Yes.

3. Yes ... but as long as you get the screen thoroughly wet, you can take it outside, or whatever if needed. Wet emulsion does not expose. (Which is why it is important for your screens to dry all the way through before exposing.)

4. The ink probably has some instructions as to time and temp. The only real iffy part about using an iron is that you might not get all of the image area properly cured, since it only covers a small area at a time. But sounds like your art is small, so maybe not much of an issue. I would guess something like two minutes at 340 would cure your ink (I use a heat press to cure water base ink), but that's two minutes of the iron sitting still on each individual section of the art.

5. You are doomed to mess up at least one more screen in order to determine the correct exposure time. But doing it that way saves you 10, or so, all-or-nothing single-exposure attempts :cool:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts