T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Shortly about to launch my new company which will provide small runs of tees for various clients, but sell them direct to their customers (kind of like cafepress etc does for tee designers). So I'm looking for a solution to the fact that UK tee costs would be prohibitive to the States where many of their customers are (15 pounds for a tee plus postage would put it up near the 40 or 50 dollar mark!).

So, I have two choices -

1. Set up a new business from scratch, buying heat presses (I'll be working primarily with flex) and employing people to run the operation for me. This could be hard work and expensive for a Brit to come in and start a new operation. Plus, I'm sure there's a ton of paperwork that will make it a very slow process.

2. License the printing and distribution out to a current operation that could work to my high quality standards. The downside of this is that obviously I'd be working at a lower profit margin because I'd have to give my US partner a percentage of the income to pay them for their efforts.

With both options I need to consider where is going to be cheapest to set up (in terms of labour costs, workshop rental etc) and probably want to keep it as close to UK as poss to cut down on travel time (somewhere between Maine and Miami!).

So, does anyone have any thoughts/experience of setting up a facility in the States?

Things I need to consider (taxes, hidden charges, insurance etc etc)?

What about Canada? Worth going north of the border? Or would it add to extra postage costs?

Speaking of postage - Is it more expensive to send from NYC to San Diego than it is to send from Fort Worth to Dallas? - does the US postal service work on a distance basis?

Sorry, that's a lot of questions - I'm overwhelmed with details I need to tie down. Any thoughts or advice anyone can offer would be very gratefully received.

Cheers!

Neil

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Dizzyjam said:
OK. Will have a look for that (although no luck yet). Anyone know where to post a service request?

Thanks!
forgot, you need 15 posts. :)

-------------------

i think freight/shipping charges is something web users are getting more comfortable with, since they can shop from their living room and not drive to the mall (costs more ;) ).

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I know someone in the UK that contracts with a US company for US orders. Basically, he set up a deal with a screen printing company to print the required shirts weekly or something to that effect, and the US company handles all the printing/packaging/shipping. He doesn't make a lot of moeny on the sale since he's not doing much of the work, but he does get more US customers since they have to pay ~$5 shipping instead of ~$12 odd that it'd likely cost from the UK.

Dizzyjam said:
Speaking of postage - Is it more expensive to send from NYC to San Diego than it is to send from Fort Worth to Dallas? - does the US postal service work on a distance basis?
Yes and no. For items under 1 pounds (e.g. 1 t-shirt, or possibly 2), the price is the same. Over 1 pound, it will vary a bit with distance. Check out USPS.com for specific charts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Twinge,

Yeah - that sounds exactly the kind of thing I'm looking to do. I may have to post that service request once I'm up and running and see if anyone's interested in partnering up.

And thanks for the USPS info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts