T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have searched around the forum but can only find answers that are aimed at people in the US. Can anyone recommend an A3 printer for printing films that I can get in the UK? Only just starting out so busy making lists of everything I need to buy and this is pretty much the only thing I'm not so sure about.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: [UK] Looking for inkjet printer recommendations for films

Ok, so I tired printing on vellum with my current printer (a Canon Pixma MG6250) which has resulted in a really blotchy uneven patchy print that I can't see being any good for burning a screen. I have done some digging around and find that people tend to use Epson printers for films but I have no idea which one I'm supposed to get.

I currently want to get the cheapest possible A4 Epson to do the job until I can afford to buy a A3 printer (like the 1400). Can anyone recommend anything, or at least point me in the right direction of what I should be looking for?

I know that this must be a tedious topic that has been repeated many times over by now so I do apologise for that!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers for the reply! My bro actually works for Canon so I quizzed him up this morning about what kinda ink does it use and it seems to use both pigment ink and dye based ink depending on what you set the paper to. Printing with the Photo printing settings which uses the dye ink produced a very blotchy print, this morning I tried printing with the regular paper setting using the pigment ink and it's come out a bit more solid. I just assumed it would be the other way around!

I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and just grab an Epson 1400 in a couple of weeks. I will try the films I printed tomorrow and see what kind of screens they produce. It would be a lot cheaper if I could stick with Canon as I'd be able to get some discount!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Staples have been selling the Epson B100 for about £120 lately. Grab a CIS system from Ebay and you're rolling. I didn't even buy an expensive CISS (cost me £20) but it's still soldiering on. If I'd stuck to the normal cartridges I'd have probably spent over £1k on ink by now!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Did you mean the Epson B1100? Just found one on eBay for under £100, so if this will be suitable for films then I'll grab one asap!! Thanks for the tip! :)
Yeah mines been sweet for film production for ages now. Prints up to A3+ size sheets which you can get from Screen Colour Systems. Look at installing a waste ink tank as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I bought the B1100 and started printing my films. I do get some odd reactions from it at times tho. Sometimes it will just randomly print 1/4 or 1/2 a picture down the left hand side, then it usually gets it right the next time (unlike last nite when it finally decided to print after 45 mins of retries!!). Any one else have this problem?!

I also have hit the "Paper Jam" error a good few times now... I've read on here that it's something to do with the sensor thinking there is no paper in the machine because its vellum....

Aside the faults tho, the transparencies are excellent! I've burnt a few really crisp screens so far and couldn't be happier! It's just getting them to print sometimes that seems to be the problem!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Well, I bought the B1100 and started printing my films. I do get some odd reactions from it at times tho. Sometimes it will just randomly print 1/4 or 1/2 a picture down the left hand side, then it usually gets it right the next time (unlike last nite when it finally decided to print after 45 mins of retries!!). Any one else have this problem?!

I also have hit the "Paper Jam" error a good few times now... I've read on here that it's something to do with the sensor thinking there is no paper in the machine because its vellum....

Aside the faults tho, the transparencies are excellent! I've burnt a few really crisp screens so far and couldn't be happier! It's just getting them to print sometimes that seems to be the problem!
I only use inkjet film for positives so no idea about vellum. My only issues are I still use mine to run off gig posters now and then and I notice it tends to chew up A3 paper with enthusiasm if I use any setting other than "Plain Paper Super Economy Slow Speed No Ink Please Mr Printer Sir". Oh yeah, and if I print at high speed the colour synchronisation rapidly flies away into the sunset. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi,

Ive also been looking at a3 printers cause i cant get a transparency made anywhere, so this info has been great cheers.

Just wondered how your getting on with the B1100 and whats the cost of ink like?

Penny

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, the B1100 has been great up until this week when the printing a tiny bit of the image got constant. I rang Epson and they actually sent a guy to my house today to look at it which I was pretty shocked at! After having a talk with him, he seems to think that the problem is with the vellum being see thru and the sensor not picking up the width of the paper properly so it's just printing on what it thinks is there. He said I might just have a really sensitive sensor so he is coming back either tomorrow or Monday with a replacement to see if that sorts it.

I'm guessing that's why transparency film has that white pull off strip so the sensor can see something is there. I have read a few posts about people covering the sensor with tin foil and all kinds of random crazy stuff, but I'm thinking a quick strip of masking tape or some small sticky labels on the underside of the vellum would sort that out.

Phil, if you still happen to be lurking on this post, do your transparencies have that white strip along the top?

The only other problem I've had with the printer so far is printing A3 images to the edge. Sometimes the print head clips a corner and you end up with a huge streak of ink across the top, which annoyingly results in a useless film. It's only happened a couple of times, and again think it could have something to do with the vellum itself.

Print quality is excellent, nice opaque black which works well for burning screens. The ink carts I think are 11ml so they don't seem to last long but it's hard for me to judge as I've only been using it a couple weeks and apparently there is a chunk of ink used to prime the print head on first use. I've managed to use both black carts that come with it already, but I've had loads of issues cause of the vellum so I don't know how much I wasted, not to mention the advised print head cleaning from the troubles I had. You can grab a CIS for it which would be the best option if you're printing loads of films.

I can't see there being another A3+ printer around that suits the job for less than £100 so I'd say go for it.

Hope that helps!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.