T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, I started my own little t-shirt company about two months ago, and have been working out a lot of kinks since then. One thing that really bothers me is that my heat press (a bottom-of-the-line JetPress) leaves a noticable "box" on my shirts when I press with the recommended temp settings (15 sec @ 375F w/ firm pressure). It's an outline that looks a little glossier than the rest of the shirt under the right light. On some shirts, it seems to wash-out a little, with others, it remains noticable after many washes. I thought that maybe at this high temp, the polyester constituents of the portion of the shirt pressed melt. I press JetWear Dark paper onto Hanes 50/50 shirts. I've avoided this ,for the most part, by lowering the temp to about 300-340F, but I worry that this will compromise the quality of the transfer. Has anyone else had this problem? Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Anthony

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I'd suggest using a hot peel paper like The Transjet II (aka Magic Jet). If you're using opaque paper for dark shirts, it WILL look a little glossy and be of only moderate quality; even the best opaque papers are not very good IMO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Twinge said:
I'd suggest using a hot peel paper like The Transjet II (aka Magic Jet). If you're using opaque paper for dark shirts, it WILL look a little glossy and be of only moderate quality; even the best opaque papers are not very good IMO.
There's no opaque material involved in Transjet II? Also, I tried the paper from bestblanks.com, and I hated it. It had a very heavy 'hand'. The image seemed to be 1/16in. off the shirt. It was ugly. How is the hand on the Transjet?

Thanks

·
Registered
154 Posts
I am still having a similar problem, but like they said it mostly washes out after the first wash. I've learned to live with it, and it seems i was the only one noticing, everyone i showed it to said it was fine, and that they didn't see anything. I guess it is us just trying to be perfect.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I had same problem printing sublimation tee's here in the UK. The noticable box was caused by the surface of the 50/50 shirt melting slightly thus giving a shiny look. After many months experimenting with different papers, covering the surface, lowering temps/pressure and so on I have given up completely. I only press onto 100% cotton now and no longer sublimate clothing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think I know what youre talking about, Im kind of new to this..
but i seen a youtube video where they cut out the design on paper then heat pressed it.

Otherwise.. your heatpress may be too hot and could be melting the fibres in the shirt causing the square.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts