T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm thinking about doing some pre-design ideas for a tradeshow booth......figured i can design and build the setups/etc.... but wanted to get some ideas of what should be shown.....along with some sizes for a booth......

a pop up roof tent is about 10x10'?

a standard size booth at a show?..... 20x20'....10x10'???

figure i would have folded product so i would need shelves....then hanging products..... i would think more hanging product would make sense.....

you think mannequinn's would be cool?..... i was thinking maybe making a cyborg or something......wearing the shirt.....

lighting...... are strobe lights annoying?..... or colored lights like reds/blues?.............

then typical promo materials like flyers and posters.....

how about a floor...... your think that would be too much.... like a parque floor or something.......

would it make sense to make solid walls or just use that grid wall units to hang stuff......

maybe some ground racks with some end shelves......

i guess i can do whatever really...but as for "display" i would think that a "scheme" would have to reflect your line......

i have worked on some projects for the autoshows so i know about the shipping/breakdown aspects and keeping it a "system" to make life easier upon install/teardown...

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
The first thing you need to do is decide which trade shows you are interested in attending. Then go to their sites. They should have an "exhibitors" section with prices and booth information. Generally the booths are sold in 10x10 sections but you can sometimes find smaller ones.

They will also have a list of "dos" and "don'ts" when it comes to what you can have in your booth. They are very strict about it so if you don't follow their directions they will make you change your booth or not let you exhibit in the future. I would find out all the info you can from their side before deciding on any design elements.

The next thing to do would be to attend a local tradeshow (of any industry) to see the setups and see what works. You can take notes but taking pictures is usually not allowed.

Exhibiting at a trade show is typically very expensive, with the booth rental, incidentals like electricity, etc, buying or renting fixtures (tables, racks, drapes, mannequins, flooring, lighting), purchasing signage, travel/hotel if it is not a local show, etc. Make sure you know what you are getting into.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks...

i'm thinking of just creating up some "systems" that i can use per show.... i figure most of the shows i will do next year will be the smaller ones until i can get funds for a larger show.....but figured i can plan all this now and design/build the 'elements' of the displays................. i would probably also want to look into an enclosed trailer.... maybe i can make the trailer as the unit itself...hmmmm......

just really brainstorming right now........ and will be sketching up some ideas

b

·
Registered
95 Posts
As Jasonda said it's really dependent on the show what the size is and what the rules are. As for what to have in your booth as far as fixtures and what not, that's kind of trial and error. Back when I did shows for my old boss, It took me a couple shows to figure out what worked and what didn't. One thing that is universal is not to annoy your neighbors! So I'd nix the strobe lights! LOL. I found that most of the time people appreciate a nice clean booth with excellent product and someone who is knowledgeable manning the booth, way more than anything fancy.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
true...

i hate strobe lights anyways...i just tossed that out there....

i'll research and see what each show requires/etc.....

i'm looking to do a clean/modern approach with an industrial feel..... so i have to consider transportation and the like when developing this....

i guess a question would be

what has worked for your booth at shows....... if your showing your line... (not printing services)...

·
Registered
426 Posts
I vend apparel, jewelry and decor products and also perform some embelishing/transfer services on site. I have attended about 20 events now over the last two summers. My space has changed completely from the very first event where I sat at a round table the event provided me to use. I like the look of forms (mannequins) and have hanging areas mixed with folded up areas. I learned right away that folded items get messy and can fall off a table so now I put them in a long "tub" on a table and am considering constructing some modular shallow table bins in the future. In addition I also have cube shelving to contain more folded garments and hats. My space is pretty busy (looking) and is not very structured, I usually take up far more than 10 x 10, but my venues are very casual and let me get away with alot.

There is another thread or two that have cool pictures of vending setups. I like the PVC or wood dowels with shirts displayed on them alot, but I don't use a canopy, those work very well when integrated with a 10 x 10 canopy.

I too am considering a cargo trailer, right now I put all my containers and shelving etc in my RV, but it is very tiring to lift it up so high (3 steps up through a narrow door, ugh!). I finally have so much stuff that I cleaned up my horse trailer for the last event and put almost everything in it (in the tack room, not the back :)). I will use it again on the weekend of the 6th. So far I really like the packing and unpacking from the trailer. If I graduate to a cargo trailer, I want one big enough with a ramp so I can be inside it with my big press. The cargo trailer could be attached to the RV for bigger events and I would set up an outdoor area under the RV awning, it would be quite the spread. I will put grid wall in it (most other vendors do that), it would be so cool! I am somewhat limited on parking space at home so this dream might not be realized.

For my day job, I used to be a trade show roadie (IT Networking) and I had alot of ideas from that experience to help me put this all together.

Reactions: Rodney

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
We bought some flooring tiles for our booth and it was the best investment we ever made. Being on your feet a lot can be very tiring. The tiles are spongy and softer to stand on. They go together like puzzle pieces and are very simple to lay down. I'd recommend getting something similar if you think you're going to be on your feet a lot.

·
Registered
286 Posts
i'm thinking about doing some pre-design ideas for a tradeshow booth......figured i can design and build the setups/etc.... but wanted to get some ideas of what should be shown.....along with some sizes for a booth......

a pop up roof tent is about 10x10'?

a standard size booth at a show?..... 20x20'....10x10'???

figure i would have folded product so i would need shelves....then hanging products..... i would think more hanging product would make sense.....

you think mannequinn's would be cool?..... i was thinking maybe making a cyborg or something......wearing the shirt.....

lighting...... are strobe lights annoying?..... or colored lights like reds/blues?.............

then typical promo materials like flyers and posters.....

how about a floor...... your think that would be too much.... like a parque floor or something.......

would it make sense to make solid walls or just use that grid wall units to hang stuff......

maybe some ground racks with some end shelves......

i guess i can do whatever really...but as for "display" i would think that a "scheme" would have to reflect your line......

i have worked on some projects for the autoshows so i know about the shipping/breakdown aspects and keeping it a "system" to make life easier upon install/teardown...
As someone above mentions, different shows have different regulations. For example, the side walls can't be over a certain height, the back can't be over a certain height, etc. Then, there are regulations about setting up and taking down to take into consideration- for many shows, if you have to use tools to set it up, then you have to hire a union laborer(s) to set it up for you. This may be something you WANT to do (especially if you have a big booth), but a lot of people put their booths together themselves. In terms of lighting, electronics, etc., you pay for the amps/voltage of electricity you use at a show, so that may be something you want to consider when designing your booth. Many shows also have regulations about the type of floor you can have-- as in, you MUST have carpet in an approved color for your flooring.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
since work is slow i'm looking into this project again.

now that i have access to a full shop, i can possibly think of a few things now.

b

1 - 9 of 9 Posts