T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Forum!
My name is Matt (1/2 of Junction 27 Designs, Tom is the other half). We started our t-shirt company about a year ago. We began by outsourcing our silk-screen work to a printer who was a friend of ours.
Our site deals mainly in comical t-shirts (I know some of you don't like that) but we are starting to branch out to more artsy/fashion based clothing as well. Now we want to keep the silk screening through our printer for the site items but venture into heat pressing with plastisol for the small/limited/one time only jobs.
Basically we are just two lifelong friends that were sick of paying overpriced companies for items that really weren't that great. Now we make items we wear and enjoy doing it all in the process (hopefully make some money too).
I have been lurking for a while reading the posts and different threads, and I have already learned alot from all of you. I can't wait to learn some more! Take care and happy posting.

Matt and Tom
Junction 27 Designs

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Just to clarify - you're planning on continuing to screenprint comical shirts, but are going to heat press fashion shirts? That seems rather back to front...

(well... not back to front as such, as that would imply you should heat press the comical designs...)

Basically, if you've started out with screenprinting, why go backwards?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We aren't entirely sure what we are going to heat press, I did post that backwards though. We want to heat press the littel things ourselves, and then any big intricate jobs, have the printer do them.
But the main reasons are cost and productivity. It will cerainly be cheaper to heat press ourselves, instead of paying to outsource. This seems to be the first logical step in working for ourselves, and most cost effective too (we lack a budget).
We want to be in control of the items ourselves, rather than relying on a printer who probably won't have our order at the top of his list. The way we have our site and stock set-up, doing small runs would be better than having to print minimum orders etc.
Thanks for the response though. You are actually one of the few people I have been reading most of the posts from (the others being Rodney, Twinge and Monkeylantern). I appreciate the dialogue.

Matt

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
J27 Designs said:
We want to heat press the littel things ourselves, and then any big intricate jobs, have the printer do them. [snip] This seems to be the first logical step in working for ourselves, and most cost effective too (we lack a budget).
Fair enough. I don't like heat presses myself, but they do certainly have their advantages. You've obviously worked out where their advantages fit in with your business, and where their biggest disadvantages need to be counteracted.

It's partly a question of scale - for the amount of money a heatpress costs you could afford to do a run of screenprinted t-shirts instead. Not as much bang for your buck; a viable option if you're happy starting smaller, but not so much if you want to sell as much as possible from the word go. At the end of a few runs of heatpressed shirts you own some assets (equipment) outright, vs. screenprinting leaving you with pretty much one option - doing the same thing all over again. I'd still choose screenprinting for the quality, but you have nailed its disadvantages.

I don't see many sites using both heatpress and screenprinting (and especially not well) - one I do know of that does good stuff is Heavy Tees, if you're not already familiar with them I recommend checking them out. How that would help I'm not exactly sure, but I know I like looking at good sites that are similar to my own - you may or may not find the same :)

J27 Designs said:
You are actually one of the few people I have been reading most of the posts from (the others being Rodney, Twinge and Monkeylantern). I appreciate the dialogue.
Thank you for the compliment.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
J27 Designs said:
Thanks for the response though. You are actually one of the few people I have been reading most of the posts from (the others being Rodney, Twinge and Monkeylantern). I appreciate the dialogue.
Stop it! You'll make me cry.

It's good we have someone who is using both the main methods....we do tend to split into screen printer/heat press lines, and the more poeple in the middle ground the better.

I like anyone who screenprints thongs (and not in the Australian sense).

·
2,957 Posts
monkeylantern said:
More importantly! I broke 300 posts! Now *I* am the Master.
Off topic(sorry!)
I would just like to take the time to congratulate MonkeyLantern on becoming a T-Shirt Master!:)
We should all aspire to be a lantern toting primate, lighting the way for others!
Congratulations!!!:D

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Rodney said:
Nothing wrong with comical tees in my opinion :)
Agreed.

I do think they generally require less effort, and I know as a result I'm sometimes guilty of making comments that would give the impression I don't like them. I love a good text-only tee though.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
I think it requires a good amount of effort to create a *good* comical tee. Sometimes you get lucky if you slap something together, but more often than not, I think it takes a balance of things to make a good funny shirt work.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Think of it like short stories and novels. Even if it's only 3 pages long, a short story takes an incredible amount of work to perfect in a limited space.

A one line joke tee might take 1/100 of the time to make compared to a fashion tee, but to do it right, it takes a high level of skill and a sharp eye and mind, not far off that of a complex "fashion" shirt.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
monkeylantern said:
Think of it like short stories and novels. Even if it's only 3 pages long, a short story takes an incredible amount of work to perfect in a limited space.

A one line joke tee might take 1/100 of the time to make compared to a fashion tee, but to do it right, it takes a high level of skill and a sharp eye and mind, not far off that of a complex "fashion" shirt.

And this is why you are the T-Shirt Master, my friend :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi there two friends my name is Alan I am in Australia all the best with youre new direction
Can you tell me what I have to do to know the best Quality tea shirts msg ect? and what is the 4 most popular designs for ladies tea shirts

Thanks

Alan

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
As this thread is a year and half old, I'm not sure you'll have much luck in them responding!

Welcome to the forums!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts