T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I working in Adobe Illustrator CS5 on MAC & Roland GX-24. I'm also just learning :). I'm trying to create an offset with a name & double digit number for a jersey. I'm guessing once the offset is applied I need to separate the foreground from the background somehow? Then I can cut each one separately on different color vinyl. Also sometimes when I offset the letters or numbers seem to overlap? Please tell me there's an easy way to do this? Thanks so much!

· Registered
242 Posts
depends on your cutter software. Some cutter software will allow you to separate cutlines according to colors. Others will not. So really depends. Would help if you told us what cutter you are using and whether you cutting directly from Illustrator.

· Registered
242 Posts
You can put the different colors on separate layers. Then hide the layer of the color you don't want to cut. When cutting the second color do the same. Or you can save the two colors in different files and then cut them separately.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry but somehow I'm just not understanding. I get to the point where I offset. But I just can't seem to separate the background from foreground so I can cut the 2 different sizes. I want to do exactly like the videos above but in Adobe Illustrator. Thanks again everyone!!!

· Registered
6,848 Posts
I sometimes cheat a bit........This is for 8" number....
1 - Place my number in black.....
2 - Convert number to outlines....
3 - Copy and paste another in front.....
4 - Change 2nd copy to white.....
5 - Place white 25 pt. stroke around white number.....
6 - Arrange 2nd number to put it in back.....
7 - Copy and paste another copy of the 1st number in front.....
8 - Arrange 3rd number to put it in back....
9 - On your screen you should have the look you want......
10 - Select all and rasterize...I usually do it at 1200 dpi.....
11 - Once it is rasterized, do a Live Trace......I use 1 colour set to ignore white....
12 - Expand.....
13 - Ungroup.....
14 - Now view result CTRL + Y or VIEW > OUTLINE and you should have 2 objects that can be coloured and/or cut separately......

But why are you cutting numbers?....Have you looked at stock numbers from Transfer Express?

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Royster13:

Thanks so much & I will try that. The reason I'm doing my own is sometimes I'm sure I will not have time to order as well as I would imagine it's a bit cheaper to do it in-house? Also, we are new to the business and I would just like to know how to do the process. Thanks again for the steps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.