T-Shirt Forums banner

Turning image from color to black and white

[CorelDraw] -  
3K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  Ripcord 
#1 ·
Ok... this is what I am trying to do!!!

I have a clipart image that is in color...... I want to take all the color out and make it simple black and white. How do I do that???

Every time I try it does a complete fill...... or something else that I don't want done. Help me out :)

#2 ·
If you don't still need it to be vector based, you can convert it to a black and white bitmap with a few steps:
First I'd convert it to Grayscale by going to Bitmaps->Convert to Bitmap, Grayscale. Then I'd convert it to black and white by going to Bitmaps->Mode->Black and White, this will give you a dialog where you can select a few different options for how it's going to convert, if you tell it line art and you set a high threshhold, it should get you there pretty much.

If you still need it to be vector, then you need to utilize the variety of shaping tools and so on in order to make it be one object (Arrange->Shaping->Combine might get you there the first go, but depends). That really becomes dependent on the graphic as to the quickest way to get it done (sometimes manually selecting each object, othertimes using find object, and so on).

#6 ·
When you import a clipart vector image, the individual fills and lines will be grouped. That's why the whole thing is filling at once. The first thing to do is click "ungroup all" and then you should be able to select each component of the drawing and change it to either black or white as necessary.

#8 ·
Colour>greyscale ...,. Or choose rgb, or cmyk.

Depends on your software and the version.

You can always paste it into the raster program (photoshop etc), then convert to greyscale in that.

What software are you using? Name and version?

Edit: oh, Corel. I don't know that. Look up greyscale for Corel on YouTube

#11 ·
though I have your corel program I dont use it much. Look in colors for threshold. click it and should have an option to slide arrow back and forth for more or less black? If you dont find it there, just google search and download a free gimp program and use the threshold tool there. good Luck.

#12 ·
like ripcord said. ungroup everything (i don't know what it's called in corel.....break apart?) then you can select the different components and choose no fill or delete a section etc.

there is no magic button.

even doing it this way it should take you ten to fifteen minutes depending on how many colors and complexity of design.

#21 ·
Here's what you do:

1. Edit > Find and Replace > Find Objects
2. Begin a New Search (NEXT)
3. Fills Tab > Check Uniform Color (NEXT)
4. Check Specific Uniform Color Fill > Click Color Box > Click Ink Dropper Tool
5. Use Ink Dropper to pick any color in your artwork
6. Click (NEXT)
7. Click (FINISH)
8. Click (Find All)
9. Menu > Effects > Adjust > Hue/Saturation/Lightness
10. Saturation = -100 (OK)

Repeat for every color group in your artwork.

#22 ·
I should also mention, depending on how clean your artwork is, you can also do the following:

1. Ctrl-A to select all
2. Menu > Effects > Adjust > Hue/Saturation/Lightness
3. Saturation = -100 (OK)

That's MUCH faster, but sometimes you'll have one or dozens of objects which won't allow this. For example: items with no color, just an outline, won't work and will block you from picking Hue/Saturation/Lightness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.