T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So due to my new fitness hobby (disc golf) I've become involved with the purchasing of ~300 shirts for an upcoming event. The guy putting on the event really likes his Bella + Canvas 52/48.

So I approached the guy I know who does shirts and he presented us with the option of using Tultex 50/50. He has another customer who he has switched to the Tultex from the Bella + Canvas. He told me that the owner of the business has reported to him that the employees haven't even noticed the difference. And the big deal is that it looks like switching to Tultex will save ~$450. That's pretty huge!

So, have you guys used Tultex? Are their products anywhere near as good as Bella + Canvas? Any reason NOT to go Tultex instead?

TIA!

· Administrator
18,439 Posts
I've used them. Especially fond of their 65/35 super-soft 65/35 poly/cottons.

They were the house brand for TSC Apparel until S&S Activewear bought them out. So the only issue now is if S&S will continue with the brand or not.

The issue with Tultex 50/50 is going to be availability. Not sure if the cause is supply chain or discontinuance.

· Registered
4,496 Posts
Sounds like you are talking about the 541 50/50? Those were previously their other in-house brand, Ei-Lo, which I've generally found to be less impressive than Tultex labeled styles. Made in the same factory all along, I suppose?, but different choices made regarding fabric quality, and such. Also, inventory levels of this item are not currently impressive. The change from Ei-Lo to Tultex branding started under TSC, so no idea what S&S intends to do with the old Ei-Lo now. M&O was another house brand, and I was not impressed with it at all.

I thought the Tultex 241 65/35 was very comparable to the Gildan 64000 Softstyle heathers. Inventory of these looks fantastic.

They also had an 80/20 hoodie that was pretty decent, even if sized a bit on the skimpy side. But there is the rub. Generally the Tultex (and especially the Ei-Lo and M&O) were not quite the quality of the brands and styles they were intended to compete with. It's not like I've tested them all, but most people could probably tell the difference in a side-by-side comparison, even if not as a stand-alone. Aside from the 241, I didn't find a style of theirs that I thought really pulled off parity in terms of quality.

As Splathead mentioned, be wary of supply. I expected S&S to kill Tultex after it bought TSC (they did kill TSC itself, shutting down every single warehouse--bought it to kill it). Although the 241 looks like it is here to stay, the 541 looks to be on its way out.

· Registered
4,496 Posts
i thought m&o was its own entity owned by grupo moyel?

that is my go to brand, after switching from the 64000 the difference in quality was negligible (about the same amount of returns gildan vs. m&o, plus the fabric was much better for our use)
You are probably right about M&O being its own thing. I don't remember the M&O part number I looked at, but at the time I was looking for another option for a heavier Tee, so probably not your G64000 replacement. What's the # of that one?

· Registered
4,277 Posts
You are probably right about M&O being its own thing. I don't remember the M&O part number I looked at, but at the time I was looking for another option for a heavier Tee, so probably not your G64000 replacement. What's the # of that one?
the m&o 3541 deluxe blend, definitely not a heavier tee
they are lighter than the 64000 (good summer/lake/beach tee, or if you live in a warmer area)

plus they only come in heathers or white & black solids

· Registered
4,496 Posts
the m&o 3541 deluxe blend, definitely not a heavier tee
they are lighter than the 64000 (good summer/lake/beach tee, or if you live in a warmer area)

plus they only come in heathers or white & black solids
Cool. I've been using Next Level 6210 CVC heathers, which are almost the reverse fabric composition: 40% poly / 60% cotton. Still playing around with ideas for a new niche/brand based on those and one-hit halftone waterbased screen prints.

Interesting. S&S USA doesn't list that one, but Google found it on an S&S Canada page. I like the color choices. Hits each expected range without the needless proliferation that B+C is fond of, and then apparently incapable of keeping stock of.

· Administrator
18,439 Posts
Interesting. S&S USA doesn't list that one, but Google found it on an S&S Canada page. I like the color choices. Hits each expected range without the needless proliferation that B+C is fond of, and then apparently incapable of keeping stock of.
Identical color choices and fabric content as Tultex poly-rich. Hmm, maybe these 2 companies are related.

Though the listed weight on the Canada site throws me off. They don't look like 6oz from the pictures.

· Registered
4,496 Posts
Identical color choices and fabric content as Tultex poly-rich. Hmm, maybe these 2 companies are related.

Though the listed weight on the Canada site throws me off. They don't look like 6oz from the pictures.
As with the Ei-Lo, perhaps TSC was moving them under the Tultex label. I did play about with the Tultex labeled one, #241, and thought it was a good match to the G64000 heathers.

I believe the good folks of the great white north use a different system for fabric weight ... really threw me off when looking at hoodies once. I know it still says oz, but somehow it is different than the USA measure. I saw an explanation for the difference once upon a time, but the details escape me at the moment :sleep:

· Registered
4,277 Posts

i know it is odd

if you look at the gildan 64000's on the canada site they are listed at 7.5oz (or 4.5oz usa)
so the 6oz is lighter
doing some quick math, it would be 3.6oz usa equivalent for the m&o deluxe blend

it's about some bizarre linear yard bureaucratic make-work, feed the beast normalcy project
hire 5000 people and write 1 report a decade late for $215million, that in the end no-one understands (not even them)
so hire more bureaucrats to interpret, the beast hungers

sorry for the detour Ziggy

· Administrator
18,439 Posts
it's about some bizarre linear yard bureaucratic make-work, feed the beast normalcy project
hire 5000 people and write 1 report a decade late for $215million, that in the end no-one understands (not even them) so hire more bureaucrats to interpret, the beast hungers
A Bella shirt on S&S Canada offers this detail: 4.2 oz./yd² (US) (=) 7 oz./L yd (CA). Which would make a linear yard 3 feet X 5 feet.

· Registered
1 Posts
So due to my new fitness hobby (disc golf) I've become involved with the purchasing of ~300 shirts for an upcoming event. The guy putting on the event really likes his Bella + Canvas 52/48.

So I approached the guy I know who does shirts and he presented us with the option of using Tultex 50/50. He has another customer who he has switched to the Tultex from the Bella + Canvas. He told me that the owner of the business has reported to him that the employees haven't even noticed the difference. And the big deal is that it looks like switching to Tultex will save ~$450. That's pretty huge!

So, have you guys used Tultex? Are their products anywhere near as good as Bella + Canvas? Any reason NOT to go Tultex instead?

TIA!
That is my go-to brand for heather material. The Tultex 202 is a client favorite. Soft, great fitting, and long-lasting.

· Registered
17 Posts
The tultex 202 is my most sold tee, but it’s kind of falling out of favor with me. On occasion I get shirt that just seem to never stop shrinking, but that’s not all, of course. They are very soft.
I’ve recently started getting the jerzees 29mr and the 460r. I think they hold up a bit better.
Bella is like the same as going to China for sizes. I’m a 2xl in China and Bella. Otherwise L/XL 🤦🏻‍♂️

· Registered
6 Posts
My favorite workout shirt is the Tultex. We do a lot for workout places. They fit great. Problems we have had are quality control and the shirts don't last as long as NextLevel or Bella......super comfortable though

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.