T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought ink jet transfer paper from walmart and printed a picture on my ink jet printer, and then I used an iron to apply the transfer. Followed directions and it looked great. I then printed up a whole bunch and mailed them to family. The problem is that they said when they sweat, the ink ran, and therefore the tshirts are useless to them.

Could anyone please help this novice with the most likely cause of this? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
996 Posts
What type of printer and ink did you use. Also I am not sure what paper that you got from Walmart. Also the fact that you are using an iron to press. this does not give uniform heat (not to mention what temp?) All these things can lead to what problems you are having. You need to iron down (no pun intended) all these issues.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
You need a printer with pigment inks, using dye inks will often run. Maybe try Jet Pro Soft Stretch transfer paper some people,claim sucess with dye inks on JPSS. I've never tried it, I only use pigment inks on JPSS, never a problem except some fading afte some washes. Mike

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yup I agree, the iron is not very good. Especially regarding pressure. A lot of the light transfer papers require heavy pressure. This is so that the coating is properly bonded with the shirt fabric. I agree you should get it from somewhere else. I believe the retails stores that sell transfer papers are many times more than if you bought from a place that specializes in them. I believe staples was like 2.50 to 5.00 dollars a sheet (this was a couple of years ago when I checked)

·
Registered
479 Posts
I bought ink jet transfer paper from walmart and printed a picture on my ink jet printer, and then I used an iron to apply the transfer. Followed directions and it looked great. I then printed up a whole bunch and mailed them to family. The problem is that they said when they sweat, the ink ran, and therefore the tshirts are useless to them.

Could anyone please help this novice with the most likely cause of this? Thank you in advance.
The most likely cause for the problem is that you used retail paper on a retail printer using retail ink and applied them with an iron which does not control pressure or necessarily calibrate temperature, not sure if you used a timer. Any one of these factors or a combination can contribute to problems. Since these are all uncontrolled factors it would be difficult to isolate the exact problem but you could start with the iron (pressure, temp & time) We just started doing transfers last week but we already had a Hotronics heat press and purchased the Alpha Supply Epson 1400 with the Magicflow CIS ink made for transfers. Using their transfer paper we were printing quality transfers 5 hours after opening the printer box. We did about a month or two of research before buying and whether you use an iron or buy a heat press do the research on the papers and the inks to improve your chances of making quality transfers. The suppliers on this forum are an excellent source for products and information.
Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts

Were they wearing some type of sun block or lotion?

·
Registered
721 Posts
If you want to give it another try, go to www.dharmatrading.com and order some of their soft transfer paper (it's not JPSS...I think it's Ironall). You can get small quantities there, and they will ship regular mail so there aren't any outrageous shipping charges.

Use a 100% cotton shirt.

Use your regular printer. I use HP inks on JPSS, and Ironall all the time...no problem (only for lights though...won't work on opaque transfers).

Use something like a large bread board, covered with a pillow case so that you have a smooth, hard surface.

Be sure to pre-press your t-shirt well to get any moisture out (yes, it's in there even if you can't feel it).

Make sure your iron is dry, and at the hottest setting.

Once you've placed the transfer on the shirt, place a piece of parchment paper over it. You can find this on the baking aisle of the grocery store.

Use as much pressure as you can to press the shirt. Hold the iron down in one place for 15 seconds, move it to the next place, and so on until you've covered the entire area of the transfer. Now iron over the entire area (again with as much pressure as possible) in a back and forth or circular motion for about 30 seconds.

Once you've removed the transfer backing, put the parchment paper back down, and press in a back and forth, or circular motion a few times.

Transfers require heat & pressure, so if you use an iron, the design will fade faster, but it can be done with an iron.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I did it that way for years. If you use too much ink it will wash out in the wash, If you wear it before it is washed it will streak if you sweat or get caught in the rain. So make sure you don't use too high of a setting. make sure you are printing at no more than 200dpi,

·
Registered
6,429 Posts

Don't use dye inks! To make a long lasting transfer that won't run use Pigment inks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts