T-Shirt Forums banner

trying to slow down a laser printer

5655 Views 6 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  greg m
hello everyone. i have an hp 1025 laser printer. i am wanting to print my own transfers one offs. i have tried practically every brand of transfer paper. none will even print the transfer without smearing and in most cases jamming the printer. i have tried every setting i can find in the preferences.
every once in a while the printer will go into what i call a half speed mode. when it does this it will print on all the transfer papers perfectly. what i am trying tofigure out is how can i make this printer print in this half speed mode consistantly or on demand. i've made a few tech support calls with no success at all. has any got any expieriance with this?
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
On my Samsung laser it does this when I choose transparency as the paper type.
that doesn't seem to make any differnce on this printer. what limited understanding i have of how printers work there is something called firmware installed in the printer itself and figuring out how to manipulate that may help slow this thing down. it also seems to me that there ought to be more than one way of doing it. surely i'm not the only one who has tried to figure this out.
You might look on hp's site for old firmware but a quick search and no hacked firmwares could be found. Funny thing is a search on the printer and a ton on reviews on how slow this printer is and paper jams. A lot of times hp hides a firmware update in a driver so it may have been updated to fix the slow printing Look at some old drivers for that printer they may slow it down but in most cases the firmware you can't go backwards but if they have some older ones on their website you might be able to load one.
that doesn't seem to make any differnce on this printer. what limited understanding i have of how printers work there is something called firmware installed in the printer itself and figuring out how to manipulate that may help slow this thing down. it also seems to me that there ought to be more than one way of doing it. surely i'm not the only one who has tried to figure this out.
The way you manipulate the firmware is through the print driver.

On most printers, transparency paper setting will slow down the print. Other than that, there is no half-speed setting that I have ever seen on a small format laser.
Have you noticed that you're using higher resolution images when the printer prints slowly? I've seen some color laser printers slow down to a crawl when you shove a 1200dpi image through them. It doesn't really make sense to me, since it won't start printing until the whole image is in the printer anyway, but I've seen it happen.
thanks for all the input. i think i have come up with a solution. for those of you who are interested. for some reason when i'm using the corel photo program if i select to print 1 copy it prints in its normal fast mode no matter what options or preferences i chose, if i select to print 2 or more copies it consistantly will slow down to a half speed mode. all i have to do is hit the cancel print button on the printer when the first copy starts to print and it will only print the one copy. i have tried this with several different file types and so far it has been consistant.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.