T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to screen print some labels inside of my shirts. I'm using AA 2001's and I don't have a press. Just been doing it on the kitchen table with a piece of wood as a shirt board. Followed some videos and tutorials about printing. What I've ended up with is bubbly, grainy prints. The ink feels like sandpaper on the skin. What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
If you aren't going to be screenprinting, just buy an inexpensive hat press and have a bunch of plastisol transfers made.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Print off contact. Tape a nickel in each corner of the screen, if nothing else.

You can buy ink additives. A curable reducer should soften it up a bit. There's also an additive called 'soft hand', which is exactly what it sounds like, makes the ink feel softer.

A waterbased ink will feel softer, too.

You could also try a 156 mesh. If you want it really soft, use a heavily reduced ink through a 200+ mesh

·
Registered
203 Posts
Dann hit it on the head for you. You must have space between your shirt and the screen so that the ink drops onto the shirt and is quickly spread smooth with the clean, sharp edge of the squeegee then causing the screen to pop back off the clothing as the squeege passes. You must use a soft hand additive also or you will have a thick plastic icky sheild. Also stir your plastisol for a good 3-5 minutes even before adding soft hand so that your ink is thoroughly mixed (oils seperate) so it is already thinner and smoother. You definatly want to use a 230 or higher mesh screen so that very little ink passes through leaving you with a soft hand and less image show through to the outside back of the shirt. Also make sure your squeegee angle is a clean 45 degree angle, this assist in less ink passing thru and not being mashed through.

Good Luck! Screen Printing after tutorials or classes takes several months practice to get good enough to start then focusing on advancing your skill. Hang in there if it something your interested in.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have been doing this for awhile now by popular demand,
soft hand works pretty well but I've been using Rutlands Chino base inks and they are wonderful for labels, I just wish I was running a few less labels these days. It can be a little discouraging running an order with a 6 color front and back that you would normally be finished with and then have to turnaround and print all of those labels.
--What are others charging for this service I am running anywhere from .25-.35 per piece for the labels screened in.
Is this about average?--

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
You need to charge as much as any other location. Just because it's small doesn't mean it's less work.

Or you can get one of the dual print tag boards from Action Engineering and print two at a time. Maybe charge half of your normal price then?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have made my own template that allows me to do 4 at time and it does speed up the process a little bit.
I like that though, "Just because it's small doesn't mean it's less work." I'm going to have to use that line next time I get a price haggler. Thanks...

·
Administrator
14,650 Posts
I like that though, "Just because it's small doesn't mean it's less work." I'm going to have to use that line next time I get a price haggler. Thanks...
Yeah, when you think about it, it takes the same amount of time, equipment, supplies (other than a little ink) and energy to print a label as it does to print a full front screen.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts