T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never printed sweatshirts before. Is there anything I should know about them? I'm aiming to print the hoodie sweatshirts with the single pocket near the bottom (no zipper).

Im worried about the pocket or the hood getting in the way. Is there a platen i can buy for this sort of thing? Or would it be better to try using cardboard of something to make a sink for it?

I know theres a bit of a difference with the off contact and the curing time for sweatshirts but i don't know how different. (My flash drier usually takes about 35-40 seconds to cure a cotton tshirt if that info helps at all)

thanks for any help!

· Registered
2,003 Posts
when printing a thick sweatshirt , I use the 16 x 16 standard shirt platen with waterbase adhesive.....you need a lot more adhesive with the sweatshirt than you do with the t-shirt...also need to adjust the off contact a bit for the sweatshirt...other than those 2 things ...should be ok...

Inked

· Registered
1,180 Posts
off cantact is key..also make sure that you keep the draw string out of the way of your flash dryer, lay them as flat as possible through the conveyor dryer. because it will scorch easily..But if you happen to scorch it they are easy to replace..FREE TIP ALERT..Do not pull out the scorch draw string yet..simply grab another one, place them end over end and wrap the ends with masking tape, now pull out the scorched one and in follows the good one.

· Registered
449 Posts
For adjusting off contact, I put a piece of cardboard on top of the sweatshirt and adjust the off contact so that my screen rests on the cardboard which = about an 1/8 in after removing it. I also agree with the others by using a good tack to hold the garment. I use a web spray.

· Premium Member
4,310 Posts
Here is a video I did on printing on black t's. This method is the same method I use on sweatshirts. As a matter of fact, I discovered this method while playing around with trying to figure out how to print on sweatshirts. The off contact is key as mentioned above, but printing with this method will also help you avoid destroying garments since the heat will cause the garment to move. So pre-heating them will cause it to shift before you print. This way, your second print on top will not be mis-registered. With sweatshirts, I would also flood coat your screen. This will give you a better lay down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.