T-Shirt Forums banner
121 - 140 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Samples are great fun but when you have to make a step forward at some point. If you want to know what is actually possible just go order some stock transfers. This testing and re-testing is getting a bit silly.

Well a buddy of mine uses them and he has used my press twice with their (express) transfers. I kind of know, but seeing that I did not do the pressing, I can't say for 100% that I like the transfers. They came out nice after the fact.

I'm also going to call air wave today. They are also in Ohio. Express is about a 30 minute drive and Air wave is about 2 hrs. So both should be able to ship to me in 2 days. Hell I'd go and get them from Express. The lady there already told me I could do a pick if I wanted to. That saves on shipping cost and time.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Lucy, you are the best :) thanks a bunch. The thumb test - do you do it right after pressing or should I give it some time to cool/sit first?
what we do is wait 24 hrs for most types of transfers before doing the Thumb scratch test. Usually after the first wash test.

....I do admit that sometimes I can't wait that long and I do it right after it cools. :eek: :) ...not recommended though.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Rodney I did 100 shirts with plastisol transfers and completed in 2.5 hours. I made $450.00 That's $180 per hour. Tees Shirt cost $1.50, Transfer 100 single color .77 cents each Shipping $10.00 Beer $16.00 I charged $7.00 for shirts.
So far no one has asked ... SIXTEEN BUCKS FOR BEER? In two (or three) hours? Was that a lotta Buds or just a fistful of Guinnesses? No wonder you need that alignment tool, Lou! (Actually, I'm probably going to order one from you before the deadline because I'm kinda compulsive about alignment too.)

Rodney, thanks for sharing this info. I too am an e-mail kinda gal and hate picking up the phone to ask people for stuff, especially if it might involve legitimate questions like how long I've been in business, what my gross income is, my primary market, etc. It would be nice to be able to funnel requests through this forum to vendors. It's reasonable of them to want to know they're not sending stuff to just any Joe Schmoe, but if we're on this forum we're not likely to be some Betty with a hot household iron.

I will e-mail Janet at FE and add my name to the pile but it sure would be nice if there were an easier way to do it. Maybe I'm being a weenie but when you don't hear an answer via e-mail, as some of us have experienced, you don't know if you're being blown off because you didn't call, or if there was some technical difficulty.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
I will e-mail Janet at FE and add my name to the pile but it sure would be nice if there were an easier way to do it. Maybe I'm being a weenie but when you don't hear an answer via e-mail, as some of us have experienced, you don't know if you're being blown off because you didn't call, or if there was some technical difficulty.
Honestly, even with companies that have Service 24/7 online and do respond to every email it still does not mean they can do the job, may be they're a all booked up etc. That's why I think it's a good Idea to establish relashionships with as many Companies as you can. This way, you have more options when you are dependent on source outs.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Honestly, even with companies that have Service 24/7 online and do respond to every email it still does not mean they can do the job, may be they're a all booked up etc. That's why I think it's a good Idea to establish relashionships with as many Companies as you can. This way, you have more options when you are dependent on source outs.
Lucy, you are absolutely right. I hope to establish relationships with all of the transfer companies that people on this forum have said good things about, including yours. It's taking that first step and contacting the first vendor that sometimes is the hardest.

You have a good point about volume -- the screenprinter my volunteer organization was using for several years got so busy recently that his quality has gone to crap, and he doesn't seem to care. I am well aware that a company with a good reputation can easily become a victim of its own success. (Did anyone notice, btw, that First Edition's prices seem to have gone up from a month or so ago?)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I send samples out all week to people. But we have a $250 minimum order. So it's mainly larger companies who we attract.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
just spent 1 week testing out new batch of 2007 transfers. Yep, it took that long for Brian here to do the job.

these are transfers that can be applied at 350F, hot or cold peel on all colors.

Rodney, how are your custom transfers printed samples coming along ? ...it's been over a week....don't mean to rush you any. :)

·
Premium Member
27,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
But we have a $250 minimum order.
That doesn't seem too bad.

Rodney, how are your custom transfers printed samples coming along ? ...it's been over a week....don't mean to rush you any
I've pressed a few, messed up a few, got a few looking good, still testing them out as they come in. I will say from a complete heat press newbie's perspective, they aren't as easy as I thought they would be.

Once I finish testing and take all the photos I'll definitely make a post about it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi, the best quality Vinyls and other Deco Materials are the ones that are easy to cut and weed...Specialty Materials (they are NOT the Distributor) Can drop ship to Mexico, USA etc...

Nice meeting you btw. :)
Thanks Lucy - Nice meeting you too and I appreciate the info. I have a possible job pending now, as a result of a customer coming into the store and seeing what I was doing with the transfers, and I am thinking that maybe vinyl would be the way to go. Then again, he may want about 100 shirts, so, no, maybe not. I hate weeding. In my garden or elsewhere.

And send a Moosehead down with my next order, please! :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
well, to be honest with you I too find it extremely odd that no one here has had plastisol transfers Crack. Gee.. I can go to the local Mega-Box lowend chain store and find them there.

Someone is making them..... really, I'm not dreaming this up.
I think the cracking issue is also dependant on the type of material you are printing on. My silkscreener made me a truckload of ladies stretch blouses before the Christmas rush and they all crack. Plastisol, silkscreen ink.

This is my own brand, my own designs and my tshirts and blouses are the most expensive in the area. I was not a happy camper!

He insists it's impossible to print on stretchy material. I said it was either the ink or the curing. He is now history.

Thanks to him, I am now here, doing transfers. The plastisol cold-peel transfers from berda.com work fine on my t's (white on colored and black blanks) but CRACK on the stretchy blouses. The ones - hot-peel white transfers for use on dark and colors - ordered specially for stretchy material from tdott work fine and DO NOT CRACK.

I would suggest that you define WHAT you are going to be printing ON, and mention that to the company you are ordering transfers from. :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Also, just for general information for those of us not living in the 'land of the free', TExpress does not ship to Mexico. Reasons cited are 'paperwork and tax' issues. This doesn't seem to be a problem for most others.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Also, just for general information for those of us not living in the 'land of the free', TExpress does not ship to Mexico. Reasons cited are 'paperwork and tax' issues. This doesn't seem to be a problem for most others.
Weird!

With free trade agreements in place for a long time know you would think it is as easy as Sunday Morning. :eek: :)

121 - 140 of 201 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.