T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm from Ontario Canada. I've been trying to find a wholesaler in Canada. Better yet in Onatrio. Is there any Canadians out there that can help? Plus I was wondering what the basic price for blank t shirts are in Canada. With our Can. dollar at a high would it be better to bring them in from the U.S?

Thanks,
Ed

·
Registered
140 Posts
ntek 4 said:
Hi,
I'm from Ontario Canada. I've been trying to find a wholesaler in Canada. Better yet in Onatrio. Is there any Canadians out there that can help? Plus I was wondering what the basic price for blank t shirts are in Canada. With our Can. dollar at a high would it be better to bring them in from the U.S?

Thanks,
Ed
Hi, Currently the two main suppliers I use are Mackle www.macklefashions.com and Jerico www.jericosport.com. Both are Canadian. Average price is between $4.25-5/shirt. You may be tempted to look to the U.S. because of their 'cheaper' prices and our current dollar strength but remember that exchange rates are constantly fluctuating and that buying in the U.S. makes you incur additonal costs and hassles that may end up costing you more. A definite no to the importing from U.S. unless your buying in very large amounts. Anymore questions, feel free to aksk.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
I almost forgot about jerico when I first read this thread. I'm in the US, and I use their garments (hoodies) quite a bit. Definitely a good brand.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys. Sarafina what supplier do you use for the transfer paper and bulk inks, are there wholesalers in Canada or this. I currently Airbrush shirts and sell preprinted shirts. We have a brick and mortar store here. I have alot of designs in mind. Airbrushing is awesome but the time and price (retail) is a bit expensive. Going into printing business was a long time coming. All your help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Ntek,
I dont use heat transfers but I did have a conversation with another Canadian member on the forum about finding transfer papers and whatnot. This is her site sickonsin.com. She doesn't visit the forum often but i'm sure you could send her an email asking about that stuff. I remember her equipment was from a place in Quebec.

Conversely you could try screenprinting which is the route i'll probably be taking. I have a very affordable contact in the Mississauga area if you're interested.

·
Registered
140 Posts
jdr8271 said:
For transfer paper, there is really no issue buying from companies in the united states. Shipping to Canada is not expensive. The two companies that I would recommend for transfer paper are:
personalizedsupplies.com (for light fabric transfers)
tshirtpaper.com (for dark fabric transfers)
Perhaps shipping isn't expensive but customs may be. Also shipping internationally makes your business alot more vulnerable to outside political/economic conditions. Also, buying Canadian helps support fellow Canadian businesses...:D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again,

Sarafina are u getting into screenprinting? I read your posts from before, and seemed to me you were heat pressing. If you switched what were the reasons? I want to make an informed decisions before I invest in machines.

·
Registered
140 Posts
ntek 4 said:
Thanks again,

Sarafina are u getting into screenprinting? I read your posts from before, and seemed to me you were heat pressing. If you switched what were the reasons? I want to make an informed decisions before I invest in machines.
I've sent you a pm.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm also curious about your opinion on Ntek_4's question about screenprinting, sarafina. I was going to post a similar thread sooner or later because I have the same question but coming from the West side of Canada in British Columbia. I'm just in my information gathering stage but hope to make a leap into the T-shirt industry and am uninformed about t-shirt wholesalers, screenprinting vs heat, etc. I plan to do more research of course, but hearing from other Canadian's would definitely be beneficial.

Apart from wanting to know what you think, I'm wondering if any Canadian's know of a places to by equipment/t-shirt wholesalers in Vancouver, B.C. or in just in B.C.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mind Your Mind said:
For t shirt wholesalers in Canada try www.budget-t.com. They are based out of Vancouver and have great customer service and prices.
Thanks for that site. I looked through their selection and they have a wide variety so that is awesome, and being local is a bonus.

Do you have suggestions for where I could pick up some equipment locally? I'm not set on only buying locally, but I read from other threads that its probably more beneficial to deal with someone that is local. Any comments on that?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Jehozadak said:
Thanks for that site. I looked through their selection and they have a wide variety so that is awesome, and being local is a bonus.

Do you have suggestions for where I could pick up some equipment locally? I'm not set on only buying locally, but I read from other threads that its probably more beneficial to deal with someone that is local. Any comments on that?
Hey,
Are you looking for heat press equipment or screenprinting kits?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I felt like I didn't know enough about either to reply so I did some research on this forum (amazing resource) and I think I have a good grasp of what a heat press and screen printing is all about. That being said I am still not too sure which one I need because I am at the information gathering stage (prices, suppliers, whats economical, etc.)

I got interested starting a T-shirt biz because of threadless, and so I think it is easiest to use them as my benchmark and also to lay out where I'm at. From this hopefully you can help me choose either heat press or screen printing method.

I am guessing that threadless didn't start out as huge as a success as they are now so what method did they use back then? Screen or heat? I am looking to print designs similar to the ones they have in regards to the type, vector art, spot coloring (?), so there will be no photo realistic prints. The quality of their shirts and printing is what I am aiming for, so printing methods, wholesale shirt suppliers, that could give me similar results is what I am hoping to achieve. The only variant is that I may, at the beginning stages, want to print on the fly as the orders come in. In that way, I think heat press might be better.

p.s I have found a silk screen printing tutorial video that might help other forumers understand the whole screen printing process, it's quite magical if you ask me: http://www.ryonetcorp.com/downloads/fourcolorpresshighres.mov

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Jehozadak said:
I am guessing that threadless didn't start out as huge as a success as they are now so what method did they use back then? Screen or heat?
Threadless has always used screen printing to print their t-shirts.

I am looking to print designs similar to the ones they have in regards to the type, vector art, spot coloring (?), so there will be no photo realistic prints. The quality of their shirts and printing is what I am aiming for, so printing methods, wholesale shirt suppliers, that could give me similar results is what I am hoping to achieve.
You can buy a couple of threadless shirts to see what type of shirts they use. From what I remember, they use Fruit of the Loom 50/50 shirts for the guys shirts and AmericanApparel for the ladies shirts. You can get both of those at just about any wholesale t-shirt supplier you find in Google.

Printing methods can also be found on their site in their FAQ I think. Just good ol' fashioned screen printing.

The only variant is that I may, at the beginning stages, want to print on the fly as the orders come in. In that way, I think heat press might be better.
You won't get the same quality with that method as you would with screen printing (unless you screen print them on demand). With the right equipment (see the Heat Press forum category), you can come pretty darn close though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Rodney said:
You can buy a couple of threadless shirts to see what type of shirts they use. From what I remember, they use Fruit of the Loom 50/50 shirts for the guys shirts and AmericanApparel for the ladies shirts. You can get both of those at just about any wholesale t-shirt supplier you find in Google.

Printing methods can also be found on their site in their FAQ I think. Just good ol' fashioned screen printing.
Thank you for your insight, I've been wondering about these questions for a long time and glad someone could give me a straight answer. I own quite a few of their shirts and I did try to look at the tags for what shirts they use, but they remove the tags and screen print their own so I could never really tell. Am I missing another way to tell what kind of shirts they are using? You are definitely right about the 50/50 blend.

You won't get the same quality with that method as you would with screen printing (unless you screen print them on demand).
I don't quite understand what you mean by, 'unless you screen print them on demand.' Does that mean if I do screen print them on demand the quality will only be as good as the Heat Press method? I might be confused on what printing on demand means, to me it means I print as orders come in, not pre-printing shirts so I have stock lying around.

sarafina said:
Hey,
Are you looking for heat press equipment or screenprinting kits?
I think I have pretty much decided to go with screen printing. I saw a thread on silkscreen printing equipment and found this: http://www.silkscreeningsupplies.com/site/799934/product/1008 but I really have no clue about brands and such, so I should probably do more research.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts