T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So let me give you a background to whats happened. I have decided to start a small business selling my own printed t shirts. Upon doing my research over the past few weeks i had decided to use Plastisol Heat Transfers. So i called a company that does these today and i was told that they are not good and peel away after a few washes.

I have now hit a wall and don't know what to do, should i invest in a vinyl cutter and cut my designs that way? Or are the Plastisol Transfers good? Just want another opinion

Thanks - Phillip

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Designs are pretty simple with mainly one colour (one has 3). There is some small detail in most designs (mainly text) but it is not tiny. Budget, well I'm going for whatever is cheaper however I'm happy to spend a little if its not a huge amount and it will benefit me.

· Registered
247 Posts
Hi all,

So let me give you a background to whats happened. I have decided to start a small business selling my own printed t shirts. Upon doing my research over the past few weeks i had decided to use Plastisol Heat Transfers. So i called a company that does these today and i was told that they are not good and peel away after a few washes.

I have now hit a wall and don't know what to do, should i invest in a vinyl cutter and cut my designs that way? Or are the Plastisol Transfers good? Just want another opinion

Thanks - Phillip
Not sure what company told you they would peel after a few washes .A good quality plastisol transfers will last as long as the garment if applied correctly . I have some with over 50 washes that still look great. So plastisol transfers are a great way to go and will last a long time

· Registered
4,346 Posts
from your description i would go vinyl
you will be weeding, but you can get any color for your designs (some patterns/metals/etc.)
and your t-shirt colors are not limited at all

there are some tricks for making your weeding easier (design dependent of course)

if you want to test the waters, pick up a cameo (~$250 new)
or look for a used cutter in your area (if you find one post it in the vinyl sub-section for opinions before you buy)

cameo will have you with a finished tee in 30 mins,
other cutters may take a day to really dial them in (but you can use larger rolls and save some time)

if you get the cameo, i would recommend the 'designer edition' upgrade (~$25)
this will open many doors in the cutting program (most important being import svg's from any graphics program)

you can download the silhouette studio cutting program for free and test it out before you buy the cutter

(if you want to save some money on the designer edition, and you don't have thousands of designs,
send me your svg's and i'll convert them to the native studio file for cutting in the cameo)

Edit: just saw danversatrans posted while i was typing
i just received some plastisol samples from the above poster and will start trials today
it can't hurt to hit him up for some samples and do some testing
they were a pleasure to deal with, and that always has value to me

· Registered
5,412 Posts
Vinyl is extremely popular and serves a great purpose. There are limitations to the number of colors. It is also labor intensive. Plastisol screen printed transfers often outlast the garment. Not sure where you got the information that they peel.

· Registered
5,412 Posts
Night and day. Sublimation printing can only be applied to white (or very light pastels) fabric and to all the products that are coated to accept the inks. Vinyl requires a cutter to reproduce your design and then be applied based on the type of vinyl....and there are many.

· Registered
4,816 Posts
If I may add sublimation has very soft hand and will outlast the shirt.

Regarding plastisol stock and custom transfers I had been using them for years like some of the brands @proworlded sells. I buy them direct from the factory. Anyway the transfers are very durable and feels softer and smoother than screen print. I quit using them when I started printing my own transfers and heat vinyl transfers.

The person who told you that plastisol will peel may be making poor quality product.

· Registered
687 Posts
Recently saw a polo shirt that I'd done for a lawn services company a few years ago (each guy gets one shirt per day, so you can do the math, allowing for early springs and long summers). The shirt, washed many times over the years and fading, had holes in it. The plastisol transfer (Transfer Express Goof Proof) looked great.

· Registered
524 Posts
It really depends what you are printing on. Lets look at why this company told you it would peel??? Did you tell them you were printing on polyester or cotton or a mix material such as a triblend or poly/cotton. There are different plastisol transfers for different applications. The standard plastisol transfer works best on cotton shirts, when you go to blends or polyesters you need to press at a lower heat setting and requires additives to the inks used in the transfer. Polyesters do not like heat over 300 degrees F. If you print a standard plastisol on a poly shirt at the lower temps then yes it will peel.

Vinyl is a good alternative but is a lot more work in weeding and can be pricy. The finished look is also not as nice as the good old plastisol. We use vinyl mostly for numbers, names and the odd simple design. If you go with a good plastisol transfer on a good cotton shirt, it should last at least 50 washes. Not as long lasting as a good screen print, but very close. Biggest things to keep in mind when using any transfer, whether it be vinyl or plastisol is what heat are you pressing at and for how long. And be sure to use a good quality heat press that has even heat.

Hope that helps!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.