T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a design I created and wanted to create a stroke-like (I think that's the right lingo!) border around the image. The image is all text and what my customer is looking for is a zebra print border around the text. I haven't the foggiest idea where to even start. Any help would be MUCH appreciated! And specifics, please! I'm new to PS CS3 :)

Here's the image:

· Registered
126 Posts
If you have photoshop you can get a image of the zebra print you want, use a clipping mask over the image and just erase every where you do not want the zebra print, this is a time heavy way but its one way. (don't forget if your bringing in a vector file to photoshop to Size it when you open it to the print size to avoid scaling problems later). I would recommend youtube for clipping mask videos.

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The tutorials I'm finding for doing a clipping mask are only if I want the text itself to contain the zebra print. I'd just like the zebra print as a border that "hugs" the contours of my text. Does that make sense? Thank you for your reply. Sorry I didn't explain it too well.

I just attached the image that's SIMILAR to what I'm going for to the original post

· Registered
1,311 Posts
Use the tutorial to make a zebra letter. Then place a slightly smaller solid letter on top. Boom you have a solid letter with a zebra border.

I did this in a few minutes with idraw on the iPad. It demonstrates how working with illustrator to design makes some sense. Photoshop is intended to be a photo manipulator rather then a vector design program. Though over the years they have started including a few creation tools.

If you want to experiment download the free Inkscape and watch a few tutorials.

· Registered
187 Posts
in Photoshop:
* find zebra wallpaper you like and scale it to be somewhat square... and the dpi of image
*Select ALL & go to FILE--> DEFINE PATTERN
* Type your text and RIGHT CLICK to bring up the BLENDING OPTIONS.
* click on STROKE and in drop down menu change the FILL TYPE from COLOR to PATTERN.
* go to last pattern in your collection and click on it.
The stroke will now be the zebra pattern and you can scale it.

LEO

· Registered
34 Posts
If you wanted something like this here is a quick non vector approach: find a free zebra backdrop. take your pink isolated graphic and stroke in white to the desired area of hugging your zebra black/white border. This is just a quick example of what I think you might be trying to achieve.

· Registered
15 Posts
Sorry, don't know how to do it in Photoshop, but you in Illustrator you can do the following...

a. type out your copy, create outlines
b. copy, paste behind, add stroke to desired thickness, object>outline stroke>add.
c. repeat step b. This should be the size that you want the zebra background to be.
d. place your vector zebra pattern behind all. I got mine online by googling free zebra vector.
e. select zebra pattern, create compound path, select both zebra pattern and outermost outline from step c. In pathfinder, select intersect.

This completes your design. You can now define all your colors. I would add an outline behind the zebra pattern to define the edges, but that's just a personal preference.

Good luck!

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.