T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever tried using translucent bond for printing transparencies? You can get 200 of them for $20-30 instead of paying $150+ for 100 transparencies. I think it comes in different transparency levels, anyone tried it?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Smooth finish paper does not hold laser toner as well as a transparent paper with a "vellum" finish.

Vellum finish paper holds more toner.

More toner requires higher fuser temperature, because the paper still travels through the printer at the same speed and more toner takes longer to melt.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
We use vellum 99% of the time using a HP LaseJet 8000 n. Its hold the dots for halftone very well, sometimes if we need it darker we just spray on come clear lacquer from Krylon
Good Luck, John

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I don't think there has ever been a problem with lasers holding dots, just the UV energy stopping power of the toner.

The solvent in the Krylon spray melts the plastic toner.

Another experiment is to run your paper through the manual feed tray, (always a good idea), twice. It does take some practice to help the feed to line up.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I don't think there has ever been a problem with lasers holding dots, just the UV energy stopping power of the toner.

Let me say it a different way, we don't have any problems with it not blocking the UV with Vellum, we only require film on very fine detail art. Richard I wasn't disagreeing the technical points you brought up, just telling how we do it and how it has worked for us, :)
John

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I am using an inkjet (epson 3000). Would either vellum or translucent bond work with this? And does anyone have a link to something like this that is less expensive?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Fender, lets do this, private message me with your addy and I'll send you some vellum, You try it and decide. Bond paper has a water mark that could interfere. The Vellum we have is 11 X 17 so you may need to cut it, don't know your printer, we have a paper cutter if I need to trim it for you I will.
Best I can do, John

:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts