T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Transfers: what is the best iron-on transfers?
Hp-iron on transfers?
Avery iron-on transfers?
ink works iron-on transfers?
epson iron-on transfers?
other?

i know im using iron ons but i just dont got the money for a heat press machine yet.

INK: what is the best ink to use for transfers?

can i have a store like Walmart or target or fedex/kinkos or walgreens or costco print high quility pictures onto my iron -on transfers for me?
one i say high quility i mean like picture of people,facail pictures.

T-shirts: i need t-shirts for really cheap .
i need big t-shirts like 3x 4x 5x t-shirts for under 5$

i get t-shirts from foot locker and champs for 5$ but they are really getting costly and they shrink alot !

I was also wondering if i can put transfers on pants as in jeans or dikies... excedra

I also hear from some one that i should use a matte sealer for the iron transfer after its on the t-shirt spray it with the sealer to keep the colors from running / bleeding/ fading.but one i calle dup places that sold it they said it is for hard sufaces ??

I kNOW this is alot but i have alot more question please help me with this

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Hello Legands and :welcome:

Yes, those are alot of Q's, but not ones that haven't been seen before. Alot of folks, including myself, have had the same concerns.

Just like you, alot of folks, me included, start out with papers from the shelves on office supply or WM stores.

What I found, ironically, was the pro paper was a better price for me. I can't remember the details, I just remember running the numbers and being surprised what I was using was more expensive.

I've changed papers since then, but will never and can never go back to shelf paper because the quality of the pro paper is sooo entirely much more excellent. :)

Let's look at your Q's:

Transfers: what is the best iron-on transfers?
With a press (for when the day comes for you): Jetprosofstretch (JPSS). It is for white/light fabrics.

Without a press: You can use a pro grade paper called Ironall with an iron. There is a fade factor, but I can tell you the products to use with it that I had NO fading with. Ironall paper, epson Durabrite ink, on a Jerzees HeavyWeight 50/50 cotton/poly t shirt.

You can find the Ironall at various suppliers, including New Milford Photo, or Coastal supply (there is a discount for forum members, you can find that on the left under preferred vendors, at the bottom of the page). Iroanll has other names, but I don't want to confuse you from the start. Ask if you want more info, ok?

Hp-iron on transfers?
Avery iron-on transfers?
ink works iron-on transfers?
epson iron-on transfers?
other?
No, and no, and ut-uh, no. I have used the Avery, and if the others are in the same class, they will crack or have issues at some point in the near future.

Ironall has a very, very soft feel on the shirt. It does not crack or peel, but can fade. It stretches with the shirt, the other papers on your list will crack if the shirt is stretched. When I used Ironall, I had no issues with the fade with that shirt I told you about the Jerzees. You can order Jerzees, too.

I now use a paper called JPSS, so I can use whatever shirt I want to without the fading. It also does not crack, peel or fade, and it too stretches with the shirt and has a soft feel.

The hitch with JPSS for you, it is does not come with ironing recommendations. There is a supplier who says they have tested it with an iron, and the results were very good, but they will not endorse it for an iron because the manufacturer has not. So, it could be "up to you". :)

i know im using iron ons but i just dont got the money for a heat press machine yet.
And you don't need to have one, per se. We started out with an iron, we earned enough money to buy our press free and clear from profits. We never had one complaint, return or issue with our shirts. It can be done, tho it is ALOT of work, very hard labor compared to a press, and time consuming, very much compared to a press.

Here is a link to a post I wrote on how we hand ironed with perfect results, I also again mention the Jerzees 5050 and durabrite:
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/heat-press-heat-transfers/t40863.html#post248158

Here is a link to heat pressing step by step. There is alot of information on little techinques to get great results in this post. Where the instructions use a heat press, you would just substitute that info with the instructions in the above post:

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/heat-press-heat-transfers/t39007.html#post229735

Lol, above the post in this link is someone asking about using a hand iron with transfer paper. :)

INK: what is the best ink to use for transfers?
Pigment ink, like durabrite, or ultrachrome. they come in an epson printer, but not all models, so be careful.

Regular Dye ink will wash out. Without confusing you, Claria water resistant dye has shown to work with transfers, and Jetprosofstretch paper has shown to work with dye ink. :p

Don't get mixed up, tho, generally it is Transfer paper and pigment ink = great transfer. :)

can i have a store like Walmart or target or fedex/kinkos or walgreens or costco print high quility pictures onto my iron -on transfers for me?
Yes you can, just make sure they use the right ink.

T-shirts: i need t-shirts for really cheap .
i need big t-shirts like 3x 4x 5x t-shirts for under 5$
Try some of these suppliers. The good thing is you can view the pricing today, as sign up is fast on some of the sites. I use Alpha Shirt.com and was able to register and start shopping around in minutes. Plus we can do local pick up with them. :)

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/wholesale-t-shirts/t37991.html#post222455

i get t-shirts from foot locker and champs for 5$ but they are really getting costly and they shrink alot !
You cannot not not use a shirt that will shrink. It will literally ruin your image as the shirt will shrink and your transfer will not, and the image will pucker. (Been thereeee, done thatttt! :p)

You have to get pre-shrunk shirts, and 50/50's shrink even less, then 100% preshrunk cotton, because even the pre-shrunks can still shrink a tad. (I did a test on this... it happens and can make the image looked oddly wrinkled).

I was also wondering if i can put transfers on pants as in jeans or dikies... excedra
There are really alot of substrates you can put transfers on. When it comes to fabrics, for this inkjet process, you just need cotton present, as this process adheres to the cotton. 50% cotton is the lowest you should go when dealing with something other than 100% cotton. I like the 50/50 cotton poly blends myself for no shrink, smooth finish, and no cotton fiber lift (little white fibers that can make a shirt look faded, happens alot with 100% cotton).

If you are looking at dark colors, you need to use papers like JetWear or Ironall Dark. They don't let the color of the fabric show thru the design, but you'll need to trim away the extra paper around the design. :)

I also hear from some one that i should use a matte sealer for the iron transfer after its on the t-shirt spray it with the sealer to keep the colors from running / bleeding/ fading.but one i calle dup places that sold it they said it is for hard sufaces ??
Yeah, not for shirts.

I kNOW this is alot but i have alot more question please help me with this
Hope this is what we did here. Good luck to you. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks a lot i just need to know were i can buy a epson/printer that works with pigment ink ... durabrite... ultrachrome... or claria water resistant i got order in already and im stuck on moving production i need a good printer for like under 80 dollars !!!. i seen a HP DESKJET F4280 MULTI FUNCTION PRINTER/SCANNER/COPIER at best buy for $54.99 59.94 with tax but i read atleat three review that said that it is defenently a document printer not a photo printer i need major help with printer !!!!!!!!!!!!!
i had a hp photosmart 7760 printer but i prints white line left to right on my pictures so im screwed on that printer and yes i cleaned the ink cartriges then put new ones still didnt worked tryed to clean inside it still no luck it not worth it.
i was using my brothers hp photo smart all in one 4280 with vivera ink it printed good on hp transfers the white hp transfers cracked just a little to were u got to be like 4inces away from it to notice and the black hp transfer i sprayed with krylon matte finish didn't crack at all or any thing i used cold water small load with he all 2x concentrated soap on both those t-shirts and separate washed 1 shirt in each load.
i am going to put the spray on a white t-shirt and wash it and see the results hope there is no cracking.

i was wondering if the hp photosmart all in one 4280 with vivera ink is good in so it dont fade ?? or should i waste money on an epson ?? please leave me as many sugestion as u can thank you.

oh yea im going to pick up some jpss as soon as i get my heat press and got the money

i am probly going to order my heat press on the first of the mounth but i need a heat press that is $300 or less hopefully a 15x15 i found hix corps got the hix hoby ite 9x12 swinger heat transfer press for $292.75 with free shipping. or i seen the geo king 9x12 digital swinge heat press for $267.75 with free shipping. or 15x15 sublimation heat press machine transfer 9 for $259.90 with free shipping. or the new 15x15 t-shirt heat press machine 15x15 blue $164.99 + $99.99 shipping = $264.98 and that by illuma press and theres a white hp 15x15 illuma press for $172.99 + $99.99 shipping = $272.98 and their is a 15x15 black hp illuma press for $169.99+$99.99 shipping = $259.99 or i could get the New 15x15 t-shirt heat press machine screen print for 229.00 with free shipping i know that sreen print is in the name it has nothing to do with the press it has somthing to do with the company. these are all under $300 but i dont know how good they are or what it gives all the info about them but i dont want it to go out right after i start making t-shirts i need to give this heat press thing a go!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if any one has any heat pressess for sale or info on them for sale for under 300$$$$ with tax/ shipping included let me know please i need to make t-shirts asap i got order in already and i got no heat press!!!!!

thank you every one here at t-shirt formus for your help and support to me newbie LedgandsLiveOn

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
thanks a lot i just need to know were i can buy a epson/printer that works with pigment ink ... durabrite... ultrachrome... or claria water resistant i got order in already and im stuck on moving production i need a good printer for like under 80 dollars !!!. i seen a HP DESKJET F4280 MULTI FUNCTION PRINTER/SCANNER/COPIER at best buy for $54.99 59.94 with tax but i read atleat three review that said that it is defenently a document printer not a photo printer i need major help with printer !!!!!!!!!!!!!

At epson.com, you can find the c120 refurb for $39 with free shipping. It comes with durabrite ink. I bought 2 of them so far. Why? The ink alone is half the normal price at $39. It's like getting ink half priced and a printer for free! Great deal.

i was using my brothers hp photo smart all in one 4280 with vivera ink it printed good on hp transfers the white hp transfers cracked just a little to were u got to be like 4inces away from it to notice and the black hp transfer i sprayed with krylon matte finish didn't crack at all or any thing i used cold water small load with he all 2x concentrated soap on both those t-shirts and separate washed 1 shirt in each load.
i am going to put the spray on a white t-shirt and wash it and see the results hope there is no cracking.

With durabrite ink and jpss you can avoid all cracking in the image.

i was wondering if the hp photosmart all in one 4280 with vivera ink is good in so it dont fade ?? or should i waste money on an epson ?? please leave me as many sugestion as u can thank you.
In some HP's only the black ink is pigment, and they color inks are dye. With JPSS/Jetprosofstretch paper, I was able to use Canon regular dye ink with no fade. Soooo, if you use JPSS paper, you may be able to use the HP no problem, with no fade and cracking. But JPSS only works with light/white shirts. If you want to make dark shirts you will need a different paper.

Some people use HP printers with luck, some with no luck, it depends on the inks in the printer.

oh yea im going to pick up some jpss as soon as i get my heat press and got the money
This is a great investment. It's the best paper out there imo. :)

i am probly going to order my heat press on the first of the mounth but i need a heat press that is $300 or less hopefully a 15x15 i found hix corps got the hix hoby ite 9x12 swinger heat transfer press for $292.75 with free shipping. or i seen the geo king 9x12 digital swinge heat press for $267.75 with free shipping. or 15x15 sublimation heat press machine transfer 9 for $259.90 with free shipping. or the new 15x15 t-shirt heat press machine 15x15 blue $164.99 + $99.99 shipping = $264.98 and that by illuma press and theres a white hp 15x15 illuma press for $172.99 + $99.99 shipping = $272.98 and their is a 15x15 black hp illuma press for $169.99+$99.99 shipping = $259.99 or i could get the New 15x15 t-shirt heat press machine screen print for 229.00 with free shipping i know that sreen print is in the name it has nothing to do with the press it has somthing to do with the company. these are all under $300 but i dont know how good they are or what it gives all the info about them but i dont want it to go out right after i start making t-shirts i need to give this heat press thing a go!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if any one has any heat pressess for sale or info on them for sale for under 300$$$$ with tax/ shipping included let me know please i need to make t-shirts asap i got order in already and i got no heat press!!!!!

thank you every one here at t-shirt formus for your help and support to me newbie LedgandsLiveOn

Check out the ebay press thread and also this brand new thread. I stay out of press recommendation. Some folks have luck with Ebay presses, if you choose the one folks recommend, you could be okay. I chose a name brand press, the mighty press lite. It was $370 delivered to my house, it is 11x15 (my printer is an 8.5x11 max size printer) so it fits my needs, and I work in youth (for now, lol.) Anyway, here are two threads for you in addition to the research you have done:

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/heat-press-heat-transfers/t36141.html

and

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/heat-press-heat-transfers/t58479.html

For used pressed, check this forum's classified section, ebay, craiglist, digitsmith, local print shops for any presses they are upgrading from or not using, or going out of business, and garage sales. Yes, two recent posts said folks have picked up 16x20 presses for $20 each, one was a brand name, maybe both, but at least one was for sure. Good luck to you. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts