T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do companies offer tape type samples?
I am going to be doing Banners as well as window printing & home indoor wall art and also retail sales so I wanted to see the different types and figure the best to order for me. Do companies offer samples for the types? Or does someone have some for me to try or suggestions for each application?

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I think I use oracle brand lol never bother looking but here is some info about them
I personally always use medium for all my applications
but there is low tack and high tack as well
Higher tack tapes are good when you got stuff smalled than a inch and handy for metallic vinyls because they don't always wanna lift on you.
Low tack I will assume be good for windows so when removing the tape, won't lift the vinyl leaving bubbles
I use Medium tack and has always been handy for all application I used it for :)
There is also clear which i actually never used but it good for shirt transfer and layering vinyl
I heard alot of people hate it, honestly not sure why ha

Oh and if you don't wanna get bubbles like every spend a little more and get air release vinyl.
OMG all I try to use goes on like butter

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I use oracle brand lol never bother looking but here is some info about them
I personally always use medium for all my applications
but there is low tack and high tack as well
Higher tack tapes are good when you got stuff smalled than a inch and handy for metallic vinyls because they don't always wanna lift on you.
Low tack I will assume be good for windows so when removing the tape, won't lift the vinyl leaving bubbles
I use Medium tack and has always been handy for all application I used it for :)
There is also clear which i actually never used but it good for shirt transfer and layering vinyl
I heard alot of people hate it, honestly not sure why ha

Oh and if you don't wanna get bubbles like every spend a little more and get air release vinyl.
OMG all I try to use goes on like butter
Thanks!
I have some med coming and will probably want to try the high too since I will be doing metalics :) so I will find some.
Should it say air release?
Also, They are all sticky - are they chemical activated to get them to stick more permanent? Is that why I got the "special spray"??

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
umm you wanna mae sure you prep surface with rubbing alchol. because cleaner surface is of chemicals and oils the better it will stick.
I don't always do this lol but it is good practice
Yea it will say air release on back but when you get bubble you can pop it with xacto knife but can be a pain lol

also make sure when you stick down vinyl press with squegee really good to get all air out and us long stroke out wards. when peeling of the masking tape do it slowly to prevent air bubbles and also you can wet mount with rapid tack or soap and water solution but i don't care for it because get messy.

gonna be honest, will take a bit time to get good at it ha
and big recommendation is to get the Big squegee will be handy to mount on sign and ect.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Oh if that babble wasn't enough lol I got more for you

all vinyls are pretty sticky and certain ones are better for certain applications.
also there is calendered and cast vinyls
calendered is 3.5 mil thick dirt cheap and like 3 to 5 year life
cast is 2 mil thick and 7 to 10 year life.. good for cars and stuff because look like paint because so thin

i love working with metallics because easy to apply but becareful when weeding because has a tendency to tare with certain letters like K and stuff

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
umm you wanna mae sure you prep surface with rubbing alchol. because cleaner surface is of chemicals and oils the better it will stick.
I don't always do this lol but it is good practice
Yea it will say air release on back but when you get bubble you can pop it with xacto knife but can be a pain lol

also make sure when you stick down vinyl press with squegee really good to get all air out and us long stroke out wards. when peeling of the masking tape do it slowly to prevent air bubbles and also you can wet mount with rapid tack or soap and water solution but i don't care for it because get messy.

gonna be honest, will take a bit time to get good at it ha
and big recommendation is to get the Big squegee will be handy to mount on sign and ect.
Thanks!
I am waiting for my tape to arrive - as soon as it does I will start printing and plastering the house to practice. :) Good thing we are starting the holidays! - gona do bats, witches, spiders - lol!
Thanks again

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
ah you gonna be busy
I don't do tons of vinyl work because do lotta digital work and stuff lol but I got like 2 kinds of machines that cut vinyl well they are monster and prob super duper over kill

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thx - I have been getting lots of vendor catalogs to check out the types for different apps.
I have a bunch of calon and 3 rolls I don't know what they are - seem like an orical sample I got they are shiny and thicker/rubbery more like a car sitcker??
I got some from a guy local that is doing larger stuff now and sold his cutter to his boss - so he had extra rolls left. I got about 9 rolls :)

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Nice ... there are soooo many kinds out there ah
3m is best oracle is really good Avery is cheap but wont last long lol
Just do homework on different types and play around see what suits you because everyone got the favorites

practice makes perfect ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts