T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All

Glad I found these forums, I'm starting a small t-shirt business from my home and I have decided to start out with a vinyl cutter and ThermoFlex Vinyl.

I've bought a Creation Cutter with software, and a Hix Heat Press....

In any case i'm wondering if i'll need Transfer Tape?

I'm trying to imagine how all this will work once I have recieved all my equipment, and i'm not sure how i'll line up the cut vinyl graphic without the tape?

Bottom line, do I need specific Transfer tape for heat press applications? If so can anyone recommend a brand or online store that I can look into to purchase it?

Thanks in Advance

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
Welcome to the T-Shirt Forums!

I know one of our members who are knowledgeable with vinyl transfers will be able to help you with your questions :)

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
...relax, working with todays cut/ploters are real easy. :)

Ive never used Sticky Tape to align the vinyl with the cutter in the past.

I think we are talking about Tape to help you position the transfers right ?

If so, there are sponsors on this board that sell it... i think.

Also, you know that Thermoflex has the perfect tac-on to help you with the placement.

But its always good to have some Sticky Thermo Tape around...... DO GET SOME TEFLON. You will use it often.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LucyRoberts said:
...relax, working with todays cut/ploters are real easy. :)

Ive never used Sticky Tape to align the vinyl with the cutter in the past.

I think we are talking about Tape to help you position the transfers right ?

If so, there are sponsors on this board that sell it... i think.

Also, you know that Thermoflex has the perfect tac-on to help you with the placement.

But its always good to have some Sticky Thermo Tape around...... DO GET SOME TEFLON. You will use it often.
Thanks so much! I'm a fulltime student studying for my LSATs to hopefully enter law school soon, I'm just trying to get a little something started on the side to help my fraternity and friends out (and making a few $$ in the process)

After doing some further research I can see that I probably wont really need the tape just for this, though I do plan on buying some to keep around for other cutting needs.

I did purchase a teflon sheet off of ebay to fit my 'hix hobby press'-- decided to start with this just to see how it goes and whether or not I can really turn enough of a profit to eliminate the need from my parttime -in school- job.

Thanks again for all the help! I'm starting to think that ink transfers were probably a better way to go; but one step at a time I guess!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :)

If you're using thermal vinyl then you do not need transfer tape. With thermal vinyl, the clear transfer tape is part of the vinyl. You cut it as a "mirrored" image, weed the excess vinyl, flip the vinyl around using the built-in transfer tape to align the image, press it with a heat press, and peel it off. Remember to read the instructions carefully to use either hot or cold peel method.

The teflon sheet is generally there to protect the surface of your heat press from sticking to the material. Also, it helps to distribute the heat evenly.

If you're talking about regular vinyl, then the transfer tape refers to the layer that you put on to the vinyl AFTER it has been "weeded". Same concept, to align the vinyl, but it's an additional step that you need to do with standard vinyl.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Yep...James nailed it!!!! The vinyl carrier paper is clear and very sticky....you will need nothing to keep it in place during positioning on your shirts before pressing. When you load the vinyl in the cutter...load the dull side up and the glossy side down and dont forget to reverse the image before you cut it!

·
Registered
300 Posts
You can also try the sports film from Twill USA, it is great. After weeding the excess the mylar backing is sticky and allows you to position the transfer to the shirt exactly where you want it.

It is also nice when weeding if you pull up a letter, you can put it back down and it will stay put.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you are worried about the design moving before you press it, you can use masking tape. It will usually come off clean. If there is some residue left, just get another piece of masking tape to take it off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts