T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok all new at this is there such a thing as a paper back vinyl what are the different types to use for heat transfer

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
There is a paper back heat applied vinyl that is sold as yardage for hand cutting as well as die cut letters and numbers.
Where is this vinyl purchased at. Is it in sheets or rolls and can you print on it with an inkjet or do you have to just use the single colors as is? I've never used vinyl before but I'm expanding my business from heat transfers & sublimation and have no idea what it is all about.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Where is this vinyl purchased at. Is it in sheets or rolls and can you print on it with an inkjet or do you have to just use the single colors as is? I've never used vinyl before but I'm expanding my business from heat transfers & sublimation and have no idea what it is all about.
There are single color material in rolls and also printable materials in rolls....i usually purchase through www.imprintables.com, but there are numerous vendors out there. If you are interested, check out the websites and call to see if you can get a package deal if you don't have a cutter...or samples if you do have a cutter....

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Thanks, I did look at the website and it seems like it won't be too much of a hassle to do. Lots of things to choose from there too. Speaking of cutters. I'm going to be getting the Rolland GX-24. I only have coreldraw x3 and it says it comes with software, but for adobe illustrator only. Will it work with coreldraw? And is it a good reliable cutter/plotter?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Thanks, I did look at the website and it seems like it won't be too much of a hassle to do. Lots of things to choose from there too. Speaking of cutters. I'm going to be getting the Rolland GX-24. I only have coreldraw x3 and it says it comes with software, but for adobe illustrator only. Will it work with coreldraw? And is it a good reliable cutter/plotter?

With the GX24 we use Corel X3 with the Roland Cut Studio - (the program it comes with) - Cut Studio is an independent program and comes with a plug in for AI and Corel...this should come with your Cut Studio software- If not, call the company you purchase from or check the roland website...it will be on there!

Enjoy the cutter!

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Thank you so much. One more stupid question.. if this is heat applied vinyl, how on earth do they make signs & decals for cars on it? It's not like you can park someone's car or van on a heat press. How do they make them stick? And how do they make signs with this stuff? Is it just pretty much cut & paste? I'm thinking I'm missing something here, but not sure what it is.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
There is heat applied vinyl for shirts, jackets, etc, as well as pressure sensitive vinyl for cars, boats, etc.

Most banners are either vinyl printed on a large format printer or fabric such as Twill decorated with heat applied vinyl.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts