T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because I do women's tees and well, most of my designs are *ahem* strategically placed, there tends to be cracking in the print when the shirts are stretched. I'm figuring not, but is there a way to prevent this from happening? Would it work to stretch the shirt while pressing the transfer or will it just come out looking distorted and bulgy? I noticed it's much more noticable on the baby rib fabric than the fine jersey. The screen prints hold up wonderfully but are heat transfers basically a losing battle for me?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've done a few tees to a female friend of mine who's quite, um, well endowed:)
I used opaque transfer and there was no problem with crackling coz of stretching.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
If possible, try using more pressure. My heat press is kind of on the fritz right now so it hasn't really been pressing evenly and I had some that would definately spread out quite a bit when stretched (Right now I'm using a large sweatshirt on the bottom of the press to give me more thickness so it gets more pressure, seems to be working well). However, I'm wearing one i did right now and it barely spreads out or cracks at all when stretched. You might also try doing them a little longer (20 seconds instead of 15.)

Finally, if it ends up not working out for you, there is still the option of plastisol transfers that you can apply with the heat press for that screen printed look and feel. I'm still experimenting with the ones I just got... they seem quite nice but I still need to perfect the transfer and wash test them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts