T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I'd like to say that this is a great forum, I'm a newbie and have been lurking for the past couple of weeks and listened & read the advice from everybody, so thank you for this great resource of information.

Going on what I have read, I have invested in a 1280 Epson Printer, I have a Hix Swingman 15 press, I'm using magic mix ink cartridge (I will be purchasing a bulk system after I get going), I'm using Magic Jet Paper and printing on Glidan Activewear 6.1 T-Shirts.

I tried pressing my first shirts yesterday at 375 degrees, I pre-pressed for 8 seconds and then pressed for 16 seconds using about medium pressure. The transfers came out great with no bleeding, but after I washed my first shirt I noticed cracking on the transfer, espcially on the black type. It was washed in cold water, turned inside out and I let it air dry. I am dissapointed that the transfer cracked, is there anything I can do to avoid this? Is it a temprature problem or am I pressing too long or not enough? Am I transfering too much ink?

Also I had problems setting up my Epson 1280 Printer. Using the Epson printer default settings what are the best settings to go for? I tried to go for the best quality settings that I could find and I have it set at:

- Custom Settings
- Print Quality is Best Photo
- Color Managment is sRGB
- Media Type is Glossy Photo

Is this right? Could using too much ink or not enough ink cause my problem?
Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me.

- Guy

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the same problem/question, actually. The cracking I see is pretty small. Am I being realistic in expecting ZERO cracking at all? The only thing I haven't tried yet is using the TransJetII paper. I've been using Greenline which I've been told is a good paper also.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Is that common practice for people selling heat pressed shirts? To wash the garment first.

That seems like an odd extra step to have to take. Especially if you factor in laundry detergent (and people's various allergies).

·
Registered
180 Posts
I remember reading about it somewhere, which is why I tried it. This is one of several reasons why I am using mostly plastisol transfers now. I am using inkjet mostly for new ideas to see if it is worth getting them in plastisol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts