T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what sort of traffic any of the store owners on here are experiencing. We started our store up about two months ago... over the last two weeks our traffic has quadrupled (still only averaging 200 hits a day) and our sales have doubled (we just sold our 100th shirt). Is this a pretty good growth for a two month period? Just wanted to hear from some "old-timers". :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Jay
my website has been up and running for 9 months and after two months I had sold about 40 tees so 200 is good going in relation to mine. I still only average aroung 50-60 hits per day. Have you got any tips for getting the website 'out there'.

Marky B

·
Registered
400 Posts
Well in the last couple of weeks Google has had an update which you could have benefited from (some didn't).

Obviously, you can experience higher traffic depending on the amount of advertising you do. I have a similar aged website that is getting more traffic but is using adwords, it's doing well in google, yahoo and msn and has some nice link exchanges.

Remember your t-shirts are also funny as well as "offensive" which is a high traffic search term. Just a tip.

I'm an "old timer" btw - you seem to be on to a good start if we are just basing this on search engine traffic. Keep at your content, your quality link exchanges and you will continue to improve.

Are these hits or uniques? Across site traffic, or just home page traffic?

Have a look at ways to improve conversion rates with the traffic you have got. It's not always the easiest thing to increase sales by increasing traffic, but there are some very _simple_ ways to increase sales just by tinkering with how your website and shopping cart perform. Webmasterworld is excellent for these tips.

·
Registered
119 Posts
DickTees.net said:
I was wondering what sort of traffic any of the store owners on here are experiencing. We started our store up about two months ago... over the last two weeks our traffic has quadrupled (still only averaging 200 hits a day) and our sales have doubled (we just sold our 100th shirt). Is this a pretty good growth for a two month period? Just wanted to hear from some "old-timers". :)
Wow that's super! Might you have any tips for a broke girl trying to get her tees to sell? I know they're a bit pricey now but I'm going for sort of the upper young market....those who like to spend money :)

How did you quadruple your sales so quickly?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I get about 150 uniques a day now with about 30 or so coming from Google AdWords and the rest coming from search engines and t-shirt ranking sites.

I am also getting about 10 hits from Bravenet exchange but I getting rid of that shortly because those pop-ups get annoying.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kingkwong said:
Hey Jay, that's awesome that you are doing so well so soon!
We have been spending a percentage of our proceeds on advertisements and trading links. I have some key words that are bringing in some targeted traffic from search engines. Those numbers seem to increase daily. We've gone from getting 40 or 50 search engine hits a week to 200 to 250 a week over the course of the last two months. Patience is key and figuring out how to play the optimization game. One day last week we got over 800 hits from an ad I placed. I went to yahoo and did a specific search and we were in the top 20. An identical search on MSN and we are top 5. The same search in Google and we are buried like 50 down on the list. It is a bit confounding as to how to pop to the top. But I am beginning to think that search terms do nothing for you if you are not already generating some major traffic to your site. I may be wrong on this but it seems as though it is difficult to rise to the top if you are not getting hits.

BTW... your stuff is incredible!!! I do not stroke egos unless they are worth of being stroked and let me tell you Doug your shirts are top notch, the Frosty Cream Animation is top notch, the overall design of the site is nice as well. With that being said, let me render a tad bit of advice if I may. Twinge is partially correct. I would consider reworking your site using a html/flash hybrid. Hit me up in a PM if you care for me to elaborate.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kingkwong said:
Quick question- has anyone had success in driving traffic to their site through Ebay sales?
I have had luck doing this, although they are becomming increasingly greedy. I think as long as you do not advertise that you have merchandise available on your site, it is ok to have a link to your site. They ended my auctions a few weeks ago siting that I was advertising merchandise availability on my site. One particular shirt I had listed on eBay got over 500 views and I have to speculate that 10% of those viewers were clicking through to my site.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi people..

Ebay pulled 4 of my auctions last fall because there were links to my web site. I can remember a time when you could put as many links as you liked. Not anymore.

I find ebay is becoming less of a valuable marketing tool as far as driving traffic to your site goes.

I have found linking to similar but not competitive sites works to increase traffic. But the question I would ask is, do you want lots of hits or do you want lots of qualified hits?

Just a thought....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Our first month we didn't do too well, but ever since I listed our shirts on Froogle our sales have skyrocketed. Its free to list and we get tons of hits. We've paid for adwords and used Overture.com but you have to spend a ton of money before you see real results from there.

Start with Froogle, make some money and go from there. Thats what we are doing, and in our third month we are getting over 200 unique visitors a day and we sell 2-3 shirts a day on average. And we currently are not paying for advertising anywhere.

·
Registered
400 Posts
>We've paid for adwords and used Overture.com but you have to spend a ton of money >before you see real results from there.

Not true mate. :) That is great that you are getting such good results from Froogle, congratulations.

·
Registered
155 Posts
DickTees.net said:
that's so awesome. we also opened about 2 months ago...we've had over 12,000 unique hits, but only have sold a little over 20 shirts. I feel like we're getting the hits, but just not converting them into sales. I know it's being kind of impatient, but when I hear stories like yours, I know it's completely possible. Where have you been advertising?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yes eBay gets me traffic (it is my main place of selling right now, with Printmojo as a backup), but not necessarily sales. I've signed up for Froogle, do Adwords, but don't really know if that is bringing in a lot of sales. I've read recently that using blogs to promote your site works for some people - you can update the blog indexes instantly, so you don't have to wait for search engines to "find" you.
Michelle

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BurnTees said:
that's so awesome. we also opened about 2 months ago...we've had over 12,000 unique hits, but only have sold a little over 20 shirts. I feel like we're getting the hits, but just not converting them into sales. I know it's being kind of impatient, but when I hear stories like yours, I know it's completely possible. Where have you been advertising?
Well we have been at it for about 5 months now. The next shipment I will send off will mark sales of just over 300 shirts. Things seemed to have tapered off a little over the summer, but we are looking for increased sales with the onset of fall and people being in front of their computers more. I find interesting places to place add. Where they will be in front of the eyes of people who I think might be interested in our style of garments. Ad Engage and Ad Brite might be a good place for you to start. Word to the wise, don't always believe what a site moderator's traffic claims. Check a sites ranking with www.alexa.com before you spend any money advertising. I rarely advertise on a site with less than a ranking of 50,000.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BurnTees said:
thanks Dick :)

i just heard about alexa today. can someone explain to me more what exactly it is? my site doesn't even come up on it...which can't be good of course.
I am not certain about this, but Cafepress sites might not be ranked with alexa because they are a product of a much larger ranked site. If this is wrong I'd welcome a correction.

·
Registered
34 Posts
We opened about seven weeks ago. So far we've had a little over 18,000 unique visitors.

We recently got some press (not an ad) and the site skyrocketed to 3,000 hits a day. This has come down to about 1,000 visitors a day, which is higher than where we were. Getting PR love is key.

We were actually thinking that fall would be a slow period. Anyone else experience seasonal highs and lows?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
We opened about seven weeks ago. So far we've had a little over 18,000 unique visitors.

We recently got some press (not an ad) and the site skyrocketed to 3,000 hits a day. This has come down to about 1,000 visitors a day, which is higher than where we were. Getting PR love is key.

We were actually thinking that fall would be a slow period. Anyone else experience seasonal highs and lows?
Wow, you are having a very quick start. For me, sales do not trickle off by seaseon. It is actually the opposite for me, with people being by their computers more (especially college kids).

Looking at your website though, I think that your hits may trickle off a bit if you dont continue to get press, or advertise because your google rank is a 0. That is what will ultimately bring in your most targeted hits.

·
Registered
28 Posts
DickTees.net said:
I am not certain about this, but Cafepress sites might not be ranked with alexa because they are a product of a much larger ranked site. If this is wrong I'd welcome a correction.
Alexa ranks by the direct domain name. So cafepress.com/shop1238859595 or whatever will not be ranked, but rather cafepress.com will only be ranked.

If you want to get ranked you have to buy your own domain, which you can redirect to go to your cafe shop.

[removed rude comment]

·
Registered
155 Posts
bluefishtees said:
Alexa ranks by the direct domain name. So cafepress.com/shop1238859595 or whatever will not be ranked, but rather cafepress.com will only be ranked.

If you want to get ranked you have to buy your own domain, which you can redirect to go to your cafe shop.

Or you can just ditcht he cafe shop becase they suck a$$. :)
i do own my own domain... www.burntees.com

and why does cafepress suck a$$? i had no money to invest in starting this up, so CP was the perfect choice.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts