T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody ever heard of a tradeshow just for t-shirts? If so, have you been?
What are they like?
What about the big tradeshows like Magic? Anyone ever been? Have you seen companies that just sell t-shirts at some of the big tradeshows? How are they percieved by the big companies there? What where there booths like compared to others?
I hope I haven't asked too many questions, but I'm very curious.
Any tradeshow info that ne1 might have would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
Yes, there are tradeshows for t-shirts. I haven't been (yet), but I hope to attend my first show next year.

I haven't been to Magic, but I've heard that there are a lot of BIG players to compete with there (like Snoop Dog, Jay-Z and any pop icon that wants a fashion line). Those guys have big budget booths that attract a lot of attention. Still, there are a LOT of wholesale buyers at these tradeshows, so it's a good idea to get to one of them if you're trying to get into some retail stores.

I'm not sure what you mean by companies that just sell t-shirts at tradeshows or how they are perceived.

Here's a few of the T-Shirt / Fashion / Sportswear related Tradeshows that I know of:

AGENDA - http://www.agendashow.com/

ASR - http://www.asrbiz.com/asr/index.jsp

Visual Graffiti

POOL tradeshow - http://www.pooltradeshow.com/

ThreadShow - http://www.threadshow.com/

Magic - http://www.magiconline.com/home.htm

·
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Rodney!
What I meant was, are there just companies that just sell t-shirts set up at the big trade shows, as opposed to the regular full-blown clothing lines that are there. I was just wondering if they were, and how other people at the tradeshow viewed a company that was there just selling t-shirts.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
I'm not sure if t-shirt tradeshows are a place where people sell "retail" because the whole place is filled with other t-shirt sellers and wholesale buyers (it's not a place where consumers browse around...mostly industry folks).

That's not to say that the clothing lines and independent t-shirt lines there that have booths looking to find wholesale buyers won't sell a t-shirt while they are there. I'm sure if a rep from PacSun wanted to buy their shirt, they would have the means to sell it to them.

You may want to visit the various tradeshow sites to see if something like that is allowed, but I'm pretty sure it would be like trying to sell fish to a fisherman out on a fishing expidition (with a boat full of fish :) )

·
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, Rodney, I should have been more clear. Just wondering about what other companies (big clothing lines, buyers from retail stores) think about one guy sitting in a booth and all that he has is some t-shirts. I just didn't know if they were seen as too small to deal with and probably wasting there time, or if they had some nice designs that they would attract favorable attention.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There are tons of just T-shirt companies at these trade shows.

Did you add Agenda to that list of trade shows?
http://www.agendashow.com

Also, POOL just got purchased by the folks that run MAGIC in August and the pricing and everything else about the show that started out as the "Anti-MAGIC" show was about.

For example, in August 2003 booths went for $600, Last August Booths were $2500, this Febuary, booths start at $4,000.

So yeah, it is crazy. I am very interested in maybe working with others to start a new, Anti-Pool / MAGIC show to be held in Las Vegas at the same time as POOL, MAGIC, and Project. We would just need to see if we can get a place near the convention center and estimat costs, we could charge $500 a booth and have up and coming companies as well as maybe one or two established companies to help bring in the buyers and costs.

I am also the San Diego Meet-up group Organizer. We have talked about starting a site much like fashionhorde.com and I think with Rodney's help this could happen sooner than later.

LEt me know what you think.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
MindTrix said:
So yeah, it is crazy. I am very interested in maybe working with others to start a new, Anti-Pool / MAGIC show to be held in Las Vegas at the same time as POOL, MAGIC, and Project. We would just need to see if we can get a place near the convention center and estimat costs, we could charge $500 a booth and have up and coming companies as well as maybe one or two established companies to help bring in the buyers and costs.

I am also the San Diego Meet-up group Organizer. We have talked about starting a site much like fashionhorde.com and I think with Rodney's help this could happen sooner than later.

LEt me know what you think.
I like the idea of putting together a tradeshow for up and coming t-shirt companies. I didn't know that POOL got bought out by Magic. The smaller shows seem more accessible than the big shows like Magic (at least in my opinion). I guess you have to be where the buyers are though.

What is Fashionhorde? I didn't see anything at the site and google searches came up empty.

·
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would definetely like to exhibit at something like that. If it were as the same time as these other shows, would it be hard to get decent media to show up for it? Also, wouldn't retailers would be at the other shows and probably wouldn't care much about a show that was made up of mostly newcomers, when all of the "big boys" are at MAGIC. I could be all wrong, but just some thoughts. But I love the idea. You could get a lot of smaller companies that would gladly pay a $500 booth fee to be at a trade show. I just don't know how successful it would be for the exhibitor if it were held the same time as MAGIC. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
I just don't know how successful it would be for the exhibitor if it were held the same time as MAGIC. What do you guys think?
That's how a lot of the smaller shows got started and are successful. By running at the same time in a close location to the "Big" shows, they are able to attract the same buyers and contacts over to their shows.

·
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess that makes sense. There definitely wouldn't be problem getting exhibitors. Some smaller exhibitors that were planning to go to MAGIC, may even change their plans. The booth fee would of course be smaller, and they wouldn't necessarily feel that they would have to "compete" with the big boys. I know that what a huge concern that I had when I was contemplating on whether I should get ready for MAGIC. In the end, the booth fee was just too much for me, and the thought of trying to get retailers to see me, when all of the other big companies were there. It just didn't seem like the most effective way to market. But $500! Smaller companies!
That really does sound like a plan. How long do you think it would take to get something like that together?

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
Comin'OutSwingin said:
That really does sound like a plan. How long do you think it would take to get something like that together?
Well, there are already "smaller" shows like this right now (although I don't know if they are $500).

I looked at the brand listing for the AgendaShow in January and I saw my next door neighboor's brand there, so I'm going to try to talk to him this weekend to see how he prepares and maybe see if I can tag along with him.

The deadline for the Agenda show looks like it's today (Dec 9), but after I talk to him, I may try to make it to that show as well.

I think the first step in putting a show like that together would be to attend a few of them to see how they are run and what works and what doesn't. So hopefully I'll be taking that first step in 2006.

·
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe you could even get him to post, about what the experience is like. That would be some good info. I agree, that going to a few would probably be the best thing to do. I saw the deadline on their site was today, also. The booth fee wasn't too bad, $1200. If you get a chance to attend, be sure to let us know about how it went and what it was like. If not, maybe you could grill your neighbor for us!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Magic bought Pool and Project. There is a new show in Miami called Traffic. We were going to do Pool in New York but they want $7000 for just the space.

·
Registered
12 Posts
TWIN: do you have anymore info on traffic?? ive been searching but only find info on bringing in traffic to trade shows, i am in miami and would like to attend so please post some info or pm me

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
Twin85 said:
I am friends with the guy that runs Agenda, so I can help with any questions pertaining to it.
Do you think you could get him to post here? Maybe I could snag an interview with him :)

I have two questions:

1) Is it too late to register if I wanted to setup?

2) Are any types of t-shirt brands/styles accepted, or is there a certain "criteria" for what they think their buyers are looking for?

·
Registered
69 Posts
1) I am not sure, the deadline might have passed for the January show. But you can email him

2) The show does get a lot of surf and skate brands as well as stores, but I would not say it is limited.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
180 Posts
I live near Orlando and plan to attend the ISS show there next month. Can anyone give me hints on what to expect or what tactics to use? I will of course have a ton of business cards and flyers with all my jokes.

I am planning to wear my best seller "Be kind to nurses... they keep doctors from accidentally killing you".

1 - 20 of 50 Posts