T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone pursue getting a trademark for his or her t-shirt design {or phrase) before starting to advertise and sell? If not, did such action hurt (or help) your business in the long run?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I am starting my T-shirt line soon. I did apply for a trademark for my name. Your designs can be copyrighted (much cheaper). Phrases must however be trademarked. E.g you cant copyright G-unit, you must trademark it, and the trademark currently belongs to Curtis Jackson. Visit www.uspto.gov

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
I didn't register my trademark until I had been selling my shirts online for about 5 years.

It didn't hurt or help my business in any way by registering the trademark, although it did give me peace of mind as I begin to market my t-shirt line "offline".

·
Registered
203 Posts
If you decide to get a trademark or not depends on how far you think your brand can go. There is currentl a trademark dispute between a lady who started a company called Glo and Jennifer Lopez who has a fragrance called Glo by J Lo. If you feel your idea is worth a lot then trademark, if you are not so sure its ok not to.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Can I sell a Jennifer Lopez shirt like this, or can I get in trouble selling it, because it has her picture and name

Attachments

·
Registered
239 Posts
Can I sell a Jennifer Lopez shirt like this, or can I get in trouble selling it, because it has her picture and name
You'll probably be infringing on a couple of levels - first the copyright on the photograph itself (unless you took it), second is the right to use J Lo's likeness in a commercial way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts