T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hey everyone here at tshirt forums! Ive been reading these forums for quite some time now, and would like to thank everyone for all the information and resources supplied. Without you guys, I wouldnt know where to start...

Now to the point of my post..

I have started a business in the last few months, and have finished(or so i think) all the paperwork for it. Its a General Partnership, and we have obtained a Resellers Permit, EIN Number/tax id, and have multiple fictitious names. This is where i get confused, the first name on the form we wrote was Eclectique Culture, followed by Apollon Wear, Eclectique Productions, and a few other names for the sole purpose of classification. Apollon Wear is the clothing line, and Eclectique Productions would be the music label, etc.

Now, Ive set up accounts with American Apparel, TSC Apparel, Alt Apparel, etc.. Under the name of Apollon Wear. At that point in time i wasnt sure if it was possible or legal. But things went smoothly so i presume its fine. My plan is to order labels from clothinglabels4u.com and have them shipped to TSC Apparel to be inserted into the shirts which i purchase from them, and have them shipped to my location.

So far so good. But ive stumbled upon a few posts about RN numbers, and what to put on the tags etc. Some say that you have to put the name of your company as it is written in paperwork on the tag, or get a RN and include in the tag and add any name you want after. I dont want to include Eclectique Culture in the clothing line, meaning i dont want those words on the garment whatsoever.

So what exactly do I do? If Apollon Wear is written on the main tag, with logo, and back includes washing instructions, and maybe the website, would that be legal?

Also, I have yet to trademark anything(or should i say registered trademark), but id like to trademark Apollon Wear, and logo(which is a laurel wreath with slight angle). As i have seen recently, the laurel wreath has been used alot in the clothing industry, and i wonder if i stand a chance for a trademark.

Another thing is that my website has in the banner; Apollon Wear, the logo, and the phrase that i would like to be trademarked. Until i do that, i know i can put the tm on there, but where exactly do i insert it? Does each element have one, or as a whole?

And on the tag as well, should there be a tm on the logo and name?

Again, sorry for all the questions in one heap of a post, but hoping anybody can pitch some advice.

Thanks,
Constantine
Apollon Wear

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Some say that you have to put the name of your company as it is written in paperwork on the tag, or get a RN and include in the tag and add any name you want after.
Yup.

So what exactly do I do? If Apollon Wear is written on the main tag, with logo, and back includes washing instructions, and maybe the website, would that be legal?
Nope. Get an RN (they're free) or use the one of the original manufacturer. If you get an RN it will need to go back to the legal name of the company, but it's not like customers will be looking that up so it doesn't matter.

As i have seen recently, the laurel wreath has been used alot in the clothing industry, and i wonder if i stand a chance for a trademark.
Probably not (not that I'd really know), but it's not necessarily a problem. A wreath is generic, and you would never have expected to be the only company with one in their logo. So you're not really trying to be the only one to use it, you just want to be able to use it yourself. So if you can't trademark it, that's okay... if no-one else can either. In which case everyone would have a non-exclusive right to use a wreath as a motif (which is likely the case, though you may want to consult a lawyer if you're worried).

Until i do that, i know i can put the tm on there, but where exactly do i insert it? Does each element have one, or as a whole?
If it was me I'd probably just put all the information in the footer of the website rather than cluttering the logos and names. If not, you'd put it after each element you're claiming a separate trademark over, e.g. Apollon Wear(tm) LOGO!(tm) Buy my stuff now *****es!(tm). Best thing to do would be to take a look at the website of some major brands (Nike, Ralph Lauren, whatever) and see what they do. Do it the same way, but with (tm)s instead of (R)s.

And on the tag as well, should there be a tm on the logo and name?
It would probably be a good idea. When you register the trademark you need to show evidence of the use of the mark in commerce. It'll show that you've been claiming a trademark. Although, either way you have a tag with a name you're obviously using as a trade name so I suppose it might not make much difference.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts