T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess this is t-shirt school Howdy all,

Well, I plan to do my homework and do my reading but I need to find out first of all if launching a shirt line with a unique slogan makes it subject to predators. Do I have to register it, or trademark or whatever the name is???

Thanks!
DonQuijote

"Trademark your name, copyright your designs."

Thanks for lesson #1. Now I have narrowed it down to the above, whatever that means (lesson #2). ;)

I already got my shirts out, so it's a matter of marketing them (lesson #3)...

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
donquijote1954 said:
I guess this is t-shirt school Howdy all,

Well, I plan to do my homework and do my reading but I need to find out first of all if launching a shirt line with a unique slogan makes it subject to predators. Do I have to register it, or trademark or whatever the name is???

You don't *have* to trademark your slogan before you start selling. You can, but it's not a requirement.

Generally, it's pretty hard to trademark a *slogan* since the trademark office prefers not to trademark slogans but rather *brands*.

If you do some searches in the forum for trademark and slogans you'll find some other good discussions on the topic as well:
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/search.php

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rodney said:
You don't *have* to trademark your slogan before you start selling. You can, but it's not a requirement.

Generally, it's pretty hard to trademark a *slogan* since the trademark office prefers not to trademark slogans but rather *brands*.

If you do some searches in the forum for trademark and slogans you'll find some other good discussions on the topic as well:
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/search.php

Thank you again. OK, then off to sell I go, anyway people love them but won't make much sense without my own writings, which are copyrighted just by being written on the Internet, right?

PS: I'll do the reading later.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
donquijote1954 said:
my own writings, which are copyrighted just by being written on the Internet, right?
PS: I'll do the reading later.
You'll find that answer and more when you do the reading :D

Basically, your "designs" can be copyrighted, but I don't think you can "copyright" a slogan. You can trademark "some" slogans, but only if the slogan is also a brand.

While your designs are automatically copyrighted at the time you create them, in order to prove you created it first and collect damages (in the case of copyright infringement), you would need to officially register your design with the US copyright office.

and no you can't mail your design to yourself and not open the letter to prove copyright.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you much. So I got my t-shirts ready, I guess this is the place to market them too, right? Is there any "to do" list?

PS: Doing some reading now.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
donquijote1954 said:
So I got my t-shirts ready, I guess this is the place to market them too, right? Is there any "to do" list?
Nope, this isn't the place to market your t-shirts. This is the place to discuss t-shirts and the t-shirt business.

There are lots of other sites with a larger "consumer" focus which would be better for marketing your t-shirt.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rodney said:
Nope, this isn't the place to market your t-shirts. This is the place to discuss t-shirts and the t-shirt business.

There are lots of other sites with a larger "consumer" focus which would be better for marketing your t-shirt.
Thank you again, Rodney. So is there any favorite of yours, me having the t-shirts ready to go...but nothing else???

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
donquijote1954 said:
Thank you again, Rodney. So is there any favorite of yours, me having the t-shirts ready to go...but nothing else???

My main suggestion would be to create a website (or have one created if you don't have the knowledge) as a way to market your t-shirts.

With the right promotion, you could get free customers from search engines and targeted links. From there you can find ways to market the site and reach new audiences (local/interational/retail/wholesale/etc)

You'd be surprised how many people can find you once you have a website up and start promoting it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Rodney said:
My main suggestion would be to create a website (or have one created if you don't have the knowledge) as a way to market your t-shirts.

With the right promotion, you could get free customers from search engines and targeted links. From there you can find ways to market the site and reach new audiences (local/interational/retail/wholesale/etc)

You'd be surprised how many people can find you once you have a website up and start promoting it.
My web site so far is text only (high in quality but not colors), so I guess I need something more fancy...

Do you think this is any good? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Just one important point. In UK copy right law you cannot just copy right slogans. There needs to be a 'SWEAT labour and judgement' which need to got to an artistic work to get copyright protection. Just making a slogan design does not hold CR protection. You need to add some design and then put your slogan in that design to hold CR protection. It has to be original as well and not copied.

And also remember CR protection is in the expression of the design not the idea or information contained in the design.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts