T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just found out that people can trademark things through there state. For example I can trademark an Idea in mississippi for 50 bucks. Does anyone know if this will protect me nationwide. Being that I did come up with the idea first and did get it trademarked, could someone say in New York take my idea and run with it since I didn't do it through the national trademark business?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
For states you can use a 'Tradename' which is different from a 'Trademark' in that trademarks are used in both national/international commerce. If you're looking for protection nationally then you should file a 'Trademark' however I'd search the USPTO office first to ensure that it is not already trademarked that way you don't spend a lot of money frivolously.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Intellectual property can be tricky. I would consult an IP attorney with any questions. How tricky is Intellectual Property law? I have a friend that is a GREAT attorney, but won't give any IP advice because she has led people in the wrong direction in the past.

You can also use the "search" on this site to get a lot of opinions. But you will mostly find disagreements on any given issue, so I stick to my "consult an IP attorney" advice. :)

R.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts