T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a qustion on a logo i was asked to do. i understand on the basic way of doing a trademark logo but this one is kinda got me thinking.

i have a dealership that has a service truck that was repainted on a body panel. the service manager has asked me to recut a vinyl decal of a trademark logo. because they are a dealer of that brand dose he have the right to have me cut it? or do i need to go higher up for the ok? i asked him and he said it was done local 2 years ago and there was no problem with that shop.

i went ahead and did the logo to match and everyone is happy but was I in the wrong?

it was just kinda bugging me and i know we all do stuff we maybe should not but i just wanted to know

thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I've done quite a few banners and other items (team apparel etc) where a franchise holder or licensee has placed an order with me and requested a corporate logo be included. In most cases they have provided the art work as well. (Although it frequently sucks :))

Since it is being done at the request of the franchise holder or licensee I have see no problem with it. I'd imagine there are cases where the franchisee/licensee is required to purchase all items with logos from the parent company but I'd think that would be rare.

On the other hand if I started reproducing automotive logos on shirts for sale to the general public I'm sure that could/would be a bit of a problem.

At one time I was fairly active in an auto enthusiast group (Corvette it it matters) and spoke with GM's legal group that handled copyright and use issues. They had no problem with me producing goods for sale to club members but they could NOT be marketed to the general public. They even sent me camera ready art of all Corvette logos from 1953 to 1997 at N/C.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info, i felt ok about it because like you said since i was not selling to the general public. so i though i was ok. i just did not know if they had the power to ok the use of the trademark. they did provide the file.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I'm kind of reluctant to do this kind of thing because then you wind up being "that guy who can make you custom stuff". For a dealership I think you're fine, that's a strictly-business kind of thing and they are licensed for use of the branding. But I've had people ask me to make them new emblems for their vehicles (i.e. a new SILVERADO logo) and I kind of figure it would be a bad idea to do it because then "word gets out" that you can do it for people rather than having to order a real one (which would look better anyway since it's raised chromed plastic and not flat vinyl).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank for the input, i feel better and think i am fine. i am not a full bore shop yet. but don't want to get on my feet and something i did 4 years ago bite me in the rear and destroy everything over a bad choice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.