T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I have been doing alot of research on the site and this site is amazing has all the answers. However I am Confused on a few things..

First off, I have Started a Surf, Skate, Snow clothing line. I have lots of interest and I have local shops and shops in Cali picking up my shirts.

The Question I have is towards Trademarking or copyright, I am not sure of which I should do or how to go about doing it.

The stuff I will be producing will be t shirts, hoodies, rashguards, boardshorts, snow jackets, surfboard acc. such as leases and other equip but I am confused on the 360 dollar fee for the TM do I need a seperate fee for each of those categories? Also I have a logo for guys line and a logo for a girls Line are they also 2 seperate fees? Any and all info would be greatly Appreciated. If you need any more info on my part just let me know!

Be easy on me lol this is my first post!
-Chris

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Look under the trademark info link, and although I'm not an attorney, there's my two cents:

(1) You will trademark in a specific class, for example since you are using your logo for apparel only it will fall under a specific US and IC class, I can't remember off the top of my head which classes they are without referencing my personal trademarks.

(2) If you have different logos/names then yes you'll have to apply under two separate applications which mean two separate $360 fees, but you have to make sure that they are currently being used in commerce, i.e. you are selling your brand right now and have proof that you are selling it. If not, then you'll either have to (a) file an intent-to-use application ($275) and then once in use file again for the $375, or (b) hold off and you wait until someone starts buying your product

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright awesome! I have proof that they are being sold so that is no problem! The name of the company is the same for both guys and girls just the logo for each are different.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright thanks alot.. Now as far as wording for the TM do I just list all the product I will be producing and or plan on using in the future that way im covered? I read up on volcom tm and billabong they have stuff listed they do not even make yet lol.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Just remember each separate class will be an additional fee for filing. If you have the cash to do it, best to cover your bases. But, if you think it's worth it, I'd at least file under the apparel class since that is what you are doing now. Nonetheless, I've wasted a lot of money in the past on trademarking products I thought would be of value and in the end didn't use them. It's really easy to start racking up fees prior to any major sales, just make sure you don't have all your capital locked in legal and none to push the product to make it worthwhile to steal...lol hope this helps. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts