T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a simple question, hopping to get an answer, no matter where I look I cannot find if the Decostudio or Drawings package send the designs from the PC to the embroidery machine, or if I have to save to a disk and use my legacy system to do the transfer. I know wilcom es does it ( since it states in their web-page), but i have not found a reference about straight to embroidery, for the corel packages, all they admit is the format of the file.... I don't know it might be obvious that they do and I'm just confusing myself, or may be they rely in another software to send the design to the machine... some help as you see would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
Did you look at the digital artsolutions website or help forum to see if maybe they have an answer there? I would think since they sell the decostudio they might. I wish I could help more :)

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately I had no luck finding any info on this subject in any of the pages that provide info on this products, no help forum in digitalartsolutions, their info seems vague or simply I'm looking for wings in a cow, and if it doesn't state "direct to machine" is that probably doesn`t. thanks' for the info anyway, I hope that someone knows the program and can let me know, if sending to the embroidery machine is possible, or that I should start looking for a different approach to getting rid of my 1993 software suite.

regards

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
Here is a link to the support forum, its a little difficult to find Program Support Network Forums,

Its kinda hidden on the site :) But their might be something in there that might help :)

·
Registered
342 Posts
DecoStudio will communicate with the machine directly. There are certain switch settings that have to made on the machine itself.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First thanks to both of you for your help, I've been digging in the smartdesigns forum, and there is little information in their forum about connectivity, so I've been digging throught the t-shirtforums and also I cannot seem to find much about connecting the machines with this pieces of software. I will provably contact Digital art solutions and ask them, but since I'm not in the US or for that matter in a city big enough to get a demo on the product, all I have to rely is in user experience on forums or promises from the vendor ( and I trust the first better, no offense). If anyone has any more info on connectivity to machine from decostudio or drawings x3 it would be very much appreciated, I don't feel like dropping 1900$+ and not know before hand what is exactly that it does, maybe I'm a bit anal about all the tech specs.

regards to all and again thank you.

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
You know what? I think if you call them, they may be able to give you an online demo. I know they did this when me before I bought their products. Its worth a try :)

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just an update.:):)

After looking and looking sometimes the answer is nothing like you thought it would be.

At the end I decided to use a freeware program to upload to my toyota 820. It reads most formats and can link with no problem to my embroidery machine. although its more based on faith than any indication from the program that is sending anything, but my toyota glows green while receiving data, so It's working; and since I'm not planing on digitizing yet and lettering is all I need, this has been the dicovery ot the day.

Embroidery Tools :: For All Your Embroidery Needs

on my 820 I used the original cable 25-25 serial ( 7 pins on the machine end), a 25 to 9 serial , and a usb to serial adapter (20$) ( I know, it seems like an overkill, but try to connect early 90's equipment nowadays).

serial com config:

baud rate: 9600
Data bits: 8
Stop bits: 2
Parity : Odd
Flow control: hardware

send the design to the embroiderer after having initialized the machine, in this order:
on the toyota do: clear + 1 + set
then on embroidery font plus: file->send to tajima emb machine: via communication port")

If everything is ok you should see a blinking green light in your machine panel, you proud embroiderer are in business.

Now I think I'm gonna try hooking it up via bluetooth, there are some serial to bluetooth adapters, no to expensive, that would really ease on the cabling

and remember only 100.00 stiches at a time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a TOYOTA 820A and I just went through this same problem. I have WILCOM 65 and even though it claims it will communicate with my 820A you have to have a special cable(which no one sells).I contacted www.pantograms.com which is the Toyota distributor and they sold me the Toyota communication software($550.00 USD) and it works absolutely great. You save your designin DST or EXP format or what you use and then send it to your machine. The only drawback is that because the 820A is an older machine it does not display the design name in the machine window but rather just a number i.e. design 01, design 02 etc. although newer machines display the file name.

I hope this helps,

Kevin

·
Registered
342 Posts
I am not sure what version you are using. If you are using Expert Stitch Manager, you can rename the file before sending it. You probably have 3 panes in the window of the software. The left pane shows what the machine has as a design and the stitch progress. The middle pane should have designs that have been or are waiting to be sent to the machine. The right pane should show machines connected to the machine.

If you look down at the bottom of the middle pane there should be an area that shows where it named the file in a sequence like ESM 103. You can highlight that and change the name and that name will be sent to the machine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I have Toyota 820A and I don't have communication cable.
Does anybody have pin out chart for 25 pin port ?
I found pin out chart for 9 pin port on Pantograms - Your Complete Embroidery Provider
but I don't have Wilcom software and I can't check their support website.

Where can I find Instruction Manual for 820A?
I need dip-switch table at least.
What are correct dip switch settings?

Many thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just an update.:):)

After looking and looking sometimes the answer is nothing like you thought it would be.

At the end I decided to use a freeware program to upload to my toyota 820. It reads most formats and can link with no problem to my embroidery machine. although its more based on faith than any indication from the program that is sending anything, but my toyota glows green while receiving data, so It's working; and since I'm not planing on digitizing yet and lettering is all I need, this has been the dicovery ot the day.

Embroidery Tools :: For All Your Embroidery Needs

on my 820 I used the original cable 25-25 serial ( 7 pins on the machine end), a 25 to 9 serial , and a usb to serial adapter (20$) ( I know, it seems like an overkill, but try to connect early 90's equipment nowadays).

serial com config:

baud rate: 9600
Data bits: 8
Stop bits: 2
Parity : Odd
Flow control: hardware

send the design to the embroiderer after having initialized the machine, in this order:
on the toyota do: clear + 1 + set
then on embroidery font plus: file->send to tajima emb machine: via communication port")

If everything is ok you should see a blinking green light in your machine panel, you proud embroiderer are in business.

Now I think I'm gonna try hooking it up via bluetooth, there are some serial to bluetooth adapters, no to expensive, that would really ease on the cabling

and remember only 100.00 stiches at a time.

Where exactly do you set your com1 /serial options in that font program anyways?

anyone have any advice how I can send to my 850 using Wilcom 2006? I seem to be able to send my files to the machine manager queue but im not sure how to actualy send the file to the machine, or have the machine grab it from the pc...

programs i have at my disposal currently are WINGSx3, wilcome es-65, and embroidery fonts plus.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the com configuration is done in the properties of the port in windows ( control panel - system- hardware -device manager-ports- ( your port)> properties>port setting) may vary depending on your windows version. works for me, and it opens up a whole bunch of formats, good if you have a whole bunch of floppies with old designs. as noted in my post the indicator for the transfer is a blinking light on the toyota, there is no feedback of the transfer in the software. hope it helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Re: toyota 820A RS232 Null Modem Cable

I was inside my Toyota AD820 today, and I was reminded of this thread.. So I thought I'd add to it...

Inside the AD820 is a short 7 conductor cable. This cable is about 10 inches long, and has a connector at each end.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3404/3279743209_22bd5217e1_b.jpg

At one end, is a small, black, flat, 7 pin connector. It connects to and becomes part of a larger grey cable, which runs to the CPU board, located on the underside of the machine.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3280/3279853411_871ce27dd9_b.jpg

At the other end, is the 25 pin D Female connector that's accessible at the rear of the machine. This is the connector where you connect the "Null Modem" cable which goes to your PC.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3551/3279908913_d944aa77c0_o.jpg

More "Null Modem" cable information can be found here:

Null Modem

The following dagram is a schemartic of all of this. Please be sure to let me know if you find errors in this diagram, and I'll correct / update it.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3417/3281867812_4a187da64d_o.jpg

On the CPU board, a Maxim RS238 (IC7) chip takes care of the level translation between RS232 signal levels, and TTL levels.

http://datasheets.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/MAX220-MAX249.pdf

To this image, I added the RS232 names of each pin on the 25 pin D-Sub connector at the rear of the machine.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3517/3283099341_ccf8c2e48b_o.jpg

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
So after resolving my RS232 issues on my Toyota AD820, verifying that the cable described in the post above works correctly, that my computer's COM Port is set correctly (per the threads in this post), ans the both Wilcom and / or Embroidery Fonts PLus are correctly configured on my computer, I was able to succesfully upload embroidery patterns to my Toyota AD820, using either Wilcom, or Embroidery Fonts Plus.

Wilcom gives you some indicatuion (through the Machine Mnager), but EFP, does not.

In both instances, the Yellow "DATA SET" led on the AD820 operator console blinks when data is being transfered to the AD820, and remains ON when a pattern in in the machine ready to be embroidered, or being embroidered.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is a pretty nice thread, although I haven't tried it yet, I believe it has solved a major issue I was having... getting the computer to see the embroidery machine. I just picked this machine up (got a great deal) so I'm very new to the embroidery industry. I understand now that because the machine is so old, things are a little more 'primitive'. Thank you for this.

However, I have a new question that isn't about connecting the machine, but I'm hoping someone here might be able to help. Maybe it deserves its own thread, but I'm hoping the people with an 820 will be notified and hopefully be able to offer some advice.

It's about just turning it on. When I picked the machine up, it was working fine. But when I got it home and plugged it in, one arm just keeps going up and down, but the needle is stationary. The screen reads "select design number" but I can't press any buttons, the only thing that does anything is hitting the emergency stop, and then it starts beeping at me. If I unplug it (or flip the switch on the power box) and plug it back in, it repeats this. I'm hoping someone might know what is causing this and hopefully how to fix it.

I appreciate your time. Thank you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a new question...

It's about just turning it on. When I picked the machine up, it was working fine. But when I got it home and plugged it in, one arm just keeps going up and down, but the needle is stationary. The screen reads "select design number" but I can't press any buttons, the only thing that does anything is hitting the emergency stop, and then it starts beeping at me. If I unplug it (or flip the switch on the power box) and plug it back in, it repeats this. I'm hoping someone might know what is causing this and hopefully how to fix it.

I appreciate your time. Thank you.
========
========

Hi...

I just read through your message, and have some input for you...

From what you describe about turning your machine ON.. my working machine does the very same thing on POWER UP...

The "selected" needle arm moves up and down, but the needle itself does not move... it just stays in place...

At this point, there are a limited number of things that you can do with the machine...

1 - the BOBBIN WINDING unit can be made to work.. try moving the Bobbin Winder lever to the UP position (right side of the machine), then pressing the blue "BOBBIN WINDING" button on the console. You should hear the motor spin up, and see the winder shaft (right side of machine) spin. This can be stopped by manually lowering the lever, or pressing the blue button on the console once more.

2 - You can change the selected needle... Press the white "COLOR CHANGE" button, so that the display reads "M" (Manual) and not "A" (Automatic). In "M" manual mode, you can then shuttle the needle selector bar, by using the white left or right buttons, labeled "Manual Needle Bar Selector". All this will do, is shuttle the head assembly left or right... nothing more.

3 - You can use the four white "CENTERING" buttons to position the hoop / or cap assembly (depending on which one is installed).

4 - The "TRIMMING" feature can be made to cycle. With both hands clear of the needle bar, pless the blue "TRIMMING" button on the operator console. This will make the motor spin once, and the selected needle lower into the bobbin holder. As the motor spins, the thread catcher hook will try to grab the thread, and trim it... Even if you don't have any thread in the needle, this function will work.

5 - The white "AUTOMATIC RETURN" button may work.. depending on the position on the hoop / hat holder.

Beyond that... nothing else really works....

Pressing the Red "CLEAR" cutton clears whatever design may have been in the memory, so that means that you don't have a design in place to embroider...

You only really have one option available to you then... upload a design...

Contrary to what I've read, there are NO special switches internal to the machine that need to be set... You just need to be in "380" mode (middle switch located at right side of Operator Console). 380 is "Communication with a Computer" via Serial Port.. 330 Mode is "Communication with a Floppy Drive". For the purpose of data transfer from your computer to the machine, set the machine to 380 mode.

To upload a design, prepare your PC's software (both "Wilcom" and "Embroidery Fonts Plus" - to name a couple - will work), and send the design to the machine.. the software on your PC will then wait on the AD820 to initiate the data transfer... (I have a quick test for this if you are interested)...

When ready, at the machine, you need to press the red "CLEAR" button, then number "1" (design number), and then the blue "SET" button...

If all is correct, the data transfer will take place.. you will know this, because the Green/Yellow "DATA SET" light will blink.

Once the design is 100% uploaded into the machine (without error), that same DATA SET light will remain ON.

If you get a "COMMUNNCATIONS ERROR2" response, then the issue is that you have a communication problem between your AD820, and your computer...

Basically (I believe) that this error is telling you that the machine did not receive information it expected from the computer. (I have a quick test for this if you are interested).

If the desgn uploaded without error, then the "DATA SET" light will stay ON...

If you are in Manual mode, pressing the Blue "SET" button, the machine's display will show: "EMBROIDERY START OK !!"

If you are in Automatic mode, you'll need to enter the needle number(s) corresponding to the color(s) you want to use, then press "SET", and the machine's display will show: "EMBROIDERY START OK !!"

At this point, pressing the Blue "START" button, will start the sewing, using the current active needle (Manual) or the selected needle(s) (Automatic).

============
============

Remember.. the free "Embroidery Fonts Plus" software uses .DST files... and then "File", "Send To", "Tajima Emb. Machine", and "Via Communication Port".

Per the instructions earlier in this messsage thread for Embroidery Fonts Plus, you may first need to properly configure your computer's COM port. To do this, go to Windows "Start" (assuming Windows XP), "Control Panel", "System", "Hardware", "Device Manager", "Ports", "Communications Port (COMx) - typically COM1, and "Port Settings".

Bits per Second: 9600
Data Bits: 8
Parity: Odd
Stop Bits: 2
Flow Control: Hardware

For Wilcom, Configuration of the COM port is handled within Wilcom's Machine Manager... use the same parameters as listed above.

======
======

I hope this helps... if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you very much for this incredibly detailed response. I'm glad to know someone else's machine does the same thing, and very glad to know there's a solution. I will try everything you have suggested and let you know if I have any further issues. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain all of that. Thanks again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Re: Toyota 820A - USB Cable

So after resolving my RS232 issues on my Toyota AD820, verifying that the cable described in the post above works correctly, that my computer's COM Port is set correctly (per the threads in this post), ans the both Wilcom and / or Embroidery Fonts Plus are correctly configured on my computer, I was able to succesfully upload embroidery patterns to my Toyota AD820, using either Wilcom, or Embroidery Fonts Plus.
As a side note to all of the Toyota AD820 data communications work I did with my machine...

I realized that some of my computers are not equipped with an RS-232 Serial port (as is the case now with many newer computers), but instead, these have a number of available USB ports...

This often means that designs have to be tediously moved from one computer to the next, which ammounts to an expensive waste of time.

After doing some research and testing, I found and purchaced a nice little USB adapter cable that works perfectly with my Toyota AD820, my Toyota 850 and other machines...

iFit Cables (dot) com Embroidery Cables

It allows me to run my digitizing software on a computer with no Serial port, and use one of it's many USB ports to communicate directly with my embroidery machine.

I bought two of these units, and now, my one computer easily uploads designs to either of my machines, without switching any wires or cables. Machine selection is accomplished through the application's machine manager. It's great.

In my case, both Wilcom and Embroidery Fonts Plus required only one small configuration change, and then worked perfectly with this cable adapter.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts